No announcement yet.

Gyro crash Vic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Nic,Unfortunately I have been to too many crash sites.One thing that you very rarely see is breaks in the control system.Most gyro"s have the standard Bensen cross bar made out of aluminium or mild steel RHS. You may find a rod end break from time to time but 99% of the time that"s impact damage.I think the message here is keep to the tried and proven methods of construction.Sams crossbar was a matter of not if it was going to break but when.

Comment

Gents when you are dealing with what I call life support its so important to get it right. You can land without an engine, without rudder (as long as it"s not jammed to one side), without radio and a whole lot of other things but break that connection between hand and rotor and it gets very hard. Some time ago I was doing some refresher training with Mr Morcombe and he discovered some cracks in the under seat stainless steel mixer (horn section) of our borrowed 2 place. I have often contemplated a failure in this area and would as a last resort try controlling the head by grasping both of the rods above my head and bringing it down under some sort of control that way. Unfortunately in an enclosed machine that is not an option.Frightening pic attached. It was cracked like this on both sides. How much longer did we have?

Comment

Murray,Thanks, I concur with your comment - if I can do anything to help please let me know.Chook - Hmm,Beautiful welding, but a not so happy outcome..

Comment

Yep Nick - stainless. In my experience the 316 usually "lets go" fairly abruptly and I agree with your sentiments regarding stainless (314, 316). The problem we had with this one was that at Bindoon airfield where we were training over the weekend (The RAAF take back our airspace Monday - Friday) it"s all gravel and so getting down and dirty is avoided. We had both been over this thing very thoroughly to the point that I replaced ALL of the bolts in the control system above the horns.So on Monday we trailered this gyro over to Wyalkatchem airstrip where they have a lovely bituminous apron where you can really get down and have a good look and that is when Ian spotted the cracks.Interestingly while getting the photos it was discovered that the bench seats lifted out easily revealing our little catastrophe. Incidentally this came out of a Kevin Green machine - G6500. It has since been redesigned and replaced.Another one I walked away from!Regards.......Chook.

Comment

Chook,Can you check it while it is up on the trailer - it might be easier to do then?Nic.

Comment

Working...
            X