No announcement yet.

Phillip Island Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that this is an old thread, but I reckon it is still relevent, so I am just posting what I see in the pic.If you notice the scrape/gauge marks in the mud between the machine and the water, the gauging is only very slight.... almost skimming... To me, that says speed at very low altitude.... in other words, he has been a bit foolish flying at a distance he could only make land by the skin of his teeth. It would be my untrained guess, that he has been flying off shore at whatever altitude, had a flame out, pointed it at land, realised he was only just going to make it if he noses down for lots of airspeed, then streaks for land. his efforts would have meant he finally did reach land, well mud, at a high rate of airspeed and probably a sea breeze (tail wind) behind him as well, adding to ground speed at touchdown. He has probably touched down, tried to flare with a tail wind which meant the flare really didnt eventuate as intended, probably the nose wheel dug in and folded, or the downwind flare caused a blade strike and he was just along for the ride after that....Glad he was ok. Makes me think of a couple of things tho.... flying over water, the rule is within gliding distance of land.... fine, how about close enough to the land that you can actually have a chance to set up an into wind landing once you get there.... instead of just making it and having to land with a tail wind....The other thing It makes me think, is how amazingly surviveable most gyro crashes, other than structural failier or really bad descisions of course, really are. Of all engine powered normal aircraft, I cant think of a better machine to have to "out land" in.....

Comment

Muz, hava Natha look, the marks in the sand is from wen it was dragged away from the water, probably riseing tide. The strap is still attached to the head.Two comments, if them legs weren"t so long, it"d probably be still rite side up, coz that sand don"t look boggy to me, and he defiantly wouldn"t have had an issue, if he,d Hada rotax 4banger.

Comment

Gyros are probably the safest things if the engine happens to stop simply cause landing speed should be near zero plus they can be put down in a vertical descent if the siruation needs it.The light sport aircraft even with their low stall speed still touch down around 40 knots or so & if the stop is instant, then its not going to be good for the pilot let alone the aircraft.Talking LSA"s, been at least 4 now that have resulted in fatals . They have been working machines & I sincerely doubt their suitability for mustering.

Comment

Do they use fixed wings for mustering? How? That would be scarey wouldn"t it?I still reckon that gyro came in low and fast trying to make a down wind approach onto the first bit of ground he could reach.... I am sure he would have managed a stop and plop if he had had a little bit of altitude left

Comment

while I was learning the engine in the instructors machine failed and where we had to put it down beside a road in very long grass and he pull up short before a drain we [ he ] had to do a "stop and plop". it was very successful with absolutely no further damage. 29 ft patroneys too. I noticed his knuckles were white holding the stick that tight ,

Comment

Do they use fixed wings for mustering? How? Lots of it used to happen with FW early on.But you generaly had a team of horses on the ground, and besides bendn the odd mob, most of it was just spotn.That would be scarey wouldn"t it?It"s scarey in any aircraft, if it"s got a scarey driver.I still reckon that gyro came in low and fast trying to make a down wind approach onto the first bit of ground he could reach.... I am sure he would have managed a stop and plop if he had had a little bit of altitude leftSo, that snatch strap tyed to the head, pulln in a line that"s parralel to the marks in the mud don"t tell you anythn?To leave tracks that deep in wet sand, his approach speed would have to have been more n 100 kts, and there"d be bits of gyro sprayed from assol to breakfast.But, I"v been rong before.

Comment

I mean before they dragged it up the beach. Did they have to drag it up out of the water or did it land on the sand/mud?

Comment

I mean before they dragged it up the beach. Did they have to drag it up out of the water or did it land on the sand/mud?Why not ask the owner/pilot, I"m sure you have the ability to track him down.There is nothing like a bit of first hand knowledge.Graeme.

Comment

Working...
                  X