Accident Burra SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident Burra SA

I can confirm the machine was a weight **** machine, sole occupant was unhurt.It was first reported as a "gyro accident".A reporter Malcolm Sutton of ABC online SA contacted me just before lunch to ask my opion of the accident photo & I was able to confirm to him that I thought it was a hang glider or trike!A big thank you to Malcolm for researching the accident machine. No kudos for the on site witness though who said it was a gyro !! : :

I reckon ASRA should have a go at the media for always slandering gyrocopters name..... yes, there are accidents with gyros, but the general public just keeps getting lead to believe gyros are ALWAYS having accidents.... reporters should be made to at least get the facts right before publication of incorrect stories.... Actual gyro accidents are always reducing thanks to the efforts of ASRA and the general gyro community... it gives me the sh!ts that for all the effort and due caution that gyro-ologists have put in keep getting ruined when every time any light/ultralight crashes, it is called a gyrocopter.... >Glad the dart driver was ok....

Comment

Was pretty sure it wasnt a gyro even before I looked at the photo..,,,coming in to land & struck a thermal...disarster in a dart but fun in a gyro

Comment

yes your right muz I think the asra board have worked hard and especially also reading the latest gyro news of the 149 thing, so many years to this point alone , their persistence is to be commended , the compliments from casa should also not go un-noticed by the members. I am grateful to be able to fly.

Comment

That"s true Tony, it is just such a bummer that gyros are having less and less accidents due to everyones hard work and learning from mistakes from the past.... however, always hearing that "gyros" are crashing left and right on the news (even tho they are NOT gyros) keeps the bad image alive

Comment

just this week on one of the morning shows they were talking about the helicopter accident on mt cook [i] anyway one of the show co hosts , said how she didn"t like helicopters. 1 person can paint such a picture. luckily the other news reader said she does. it just doesn"t suit everybody. that certainly makes all the non believers strange that"s for sure.

Comment

Interesting how we always advocate the safety of auto gyro. I had this conversation with a surgeon which was worth while as he has the intelligence to understand and by the reaction he could appreciate the principal but i noticed also the common pre miss understanding of (they drop out of the sky as soon as engine stops). I find it frustrating and even a comment from a chopper pilot i was talking to "you wont catch me in one of them" I mentioned chopper engine out under 500ft and he said yes but "we don"t talk about that" It still puzzles me how auto gyro gets such a bad rap. Reporters/witness well "sorry.... i forgot your a complete @#$%^n idiot"

Comment

To be fair, the " dropping out of the sky" probably originated out of the early days when gyros werent reliable & as Tim McClure said, the gyro that went the longest without stopping was often the worst off as they had longer to walk home when it did stop

Comment

I have flown into a lot of different airfields lately and the amount of interest in gyros is extraordinary, if only we could get some positive stories about gyros out to the general public to hopefully change their perception. Unfortunately as we all know tragedies and accidents is what makes news and sells papers.

Comment

When I began touring around Australia with my RAF 2000 in 1998 I was amazed at how many people came up to chat, saying " wow they have come a long way." The fact that it was enclosed, fueled up at the "real" fuel aviation bowser, and had a dash like a 152 Cessna, to them was acceptable. The fact that at the time it was one of the most dangerous gyros around!!! Perception folks perception.Aussie Paul.

Comment

my mate trev had a Cessna and his lovely wife went every where with him. but he changed to helicopters and she doesn"t like the feel of helicopters at all sooo he flies alone.

Comment

When I began touring around Australia with my RAF 2000 in 1998 I was amazed at how many people came up to chat, saying " wow they have come a long way." The fact that it was enclosed, fueled up at the "real" fuel aviation bowser, and had a dash like a 152 Cessna, to them was acceptable. The fact that at the time it was one of the most dangerous gyros around!!! Perception folks perception.Aussie Paul. Hopefully things have changed for the better and we can back up people"s perception with well built reliable aircraft with well trained pilots. As we all know the sport will never be accident free, I just would like to see more positive stories with the focus on the safety aspect of gyros. As Muz says when the s*#t hits the fan there is no aircraft I would rather be in.

Comment

Working...
                        X