• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ians Build

Hi guys,

More photos

Comment

Best of luck with the project Ian, I look forward to following the progress of the build. As an Autogyro owner I know where you are coming from in regard to cost. Maybe I will be able to buy my next one from you!

Comment

Thanks Rick I will be able to supply whole

Comment

I plan on lowering the back section if possible Will know more when my seats arrive and i can sit the motor in and have a look A lot of thanks are owed to Nick Noorman for his help in design work and with details along the way and his help in constructing undercarriageI have a 1200 gs motor with gearbox supplied by Takeoff in Germany. Wilfried from takeoff has been very helpful with supplying engine mounts to suit bmw motors that he designed also a very nice airbox he has also designed and made. I have used the method in the magazine of drawing out the whole thing with a graph to plot weights and positions to see if i am at least in the ball park with CLT .

Comment

Ian

Comment

That all looks nice. Like the BMW motor idea. It"s what the original design was for( their trademark symbol reflects a spinning propeller). Whats the reduction ratio on the box? Ken

Comment

Ian that looks like a damn good start.Pete Barsden (left the sport) and Gerry Goodwin were both trying to get a BMW working in a gyro about 10 years ago but gave it away. I can"t for the life of me recall what the problem was but Pete was using the 1000cc unit with a purpose built redrive. Maybe a call to Gerry?Regards....Chook.

Comment

Ian that looks like a damn good start.Pete Barsden (left the sport) and Gerry Goodwin were both trying to get a BMW working in a gyro about 10 years ago but gave it away. I can"t for the life of me recall what the problem was but Pete was using the 1000cc unit with a purpose built redrive. Maybe a call to Gerry?Regards....Chook.I remember seeing a gyro at Tim McClure"s, be more than 10 years ago but it was definitely a BMW powered and from what I remember the engine couldn"t take continuous high revs which is strange seeing BMW "s should spin all day at near WOT without a problem. I reckon Tim might have built it but not sure

Comment

Harley Newman built a turbo Bmw direct drive. I think its at the Wangaratta museum. Ken

Comment

Hi Guys Thanks for the info Earlier BMW motors struggled with hi revs and temps. The 1150 and 1100 i think are the ones that have been successfully used in trikes with the take off gearbox. The 1200GS is just a bigger version cranking out 115hp with no mods. It also has anti vibration counterweights on crank and i will be using an ignition pack and wiring harness supplied by take off to give me a few xtra horses .I think the weight is 86kg not 100% on that. I bought the whole bike as a wreck [only front end damage] sold the rest to a guy from cairns who apart from other things converts BMW engines to aviation useI did run the bike quite a few times and it is very smooth and supposedly this engine is pretty bulletproof . Only time will tell

Comment

What sought of cost is the gearbox and the ignition pack? The problem that we use to encounter with high revving(13000rpm) race bike engines was hammering and mushrooming of the valves. The problem was solved by nitriting the valves. Don"t know what they do but solved all problems on Kawasakis and Yamahas. The problem occurred when the bike was on full noise for long periods(long straights) . The BM maxs out at about 7000, but it might be worthwhile getting it done. It was very cheap only about $12 per valve. Ken

Comment

Hi Ken The engines are available for about $3000 low kms [under 30000km ] The gearbox with clutch is around $2500 then if you want a wiring harness and ignition it is about another $1500 thats in aussie dollars In the attached photos you will see the first attempt at cutting the frame plates on cnc router. It took some playing to find the right rpm and feed speeds to get it right . Fortunately i got it right the second time. The frame is a copy of the MT03 except totally aluminium and braced with the plates. I believe stainless is only good until it is welded then you have a weak spot. Also pictured is front wheel twin disc [shimano fluid pushbike discs] i have only sat on the frame and rolled down a steep hill but there is plenty of stopping power and they weigh nothing

Comment

I"m interested to see this work. The gearbox is reasonable in price. Does the ignition use the original igniter box? And does it have the management of the fuel injection? Brakes really don"t matter that much. Very rarely do I use mine and they are drums on the main wheels. The rotor disc acts like a big parachute when you pull the stick back( when they are spinning at flying speed) . Ken

Comment

just putting final coat on dash plug really stuck until my seats arrive and i can set them up and start looking at final placement of rudder pedals and controls and once i have that sorted i will move to mounting motor i need to put scallops in the back cowls to line up with cylinder heads dont want any overheating problems

Comment

Working...
                              X