Conventional to Overhead Cyclic Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chook,

Yeah, I've had that play out on me before.. My go to now is 'Airboat' or 'hover craft' if there's any doubt

Sometimes there's a wink and a nudge, other times it's said with a dead straight face cos I know it will be taken the wrong way. Sad that I have to lie about it..

Appreciate the tip though.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Some photos of G110 control cables
      Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

some more
        Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Hi guys,

Now that the forum is back up, I can post an update on this thread.. Unfortunately CV-19 hasn't made things any easier, however I did finally finish the build, albeit she's unpainted and has only done around 4 hours of testing since being registered several months ago.

It fly's reasonably well, but ended up being way too heavy for my liking. Most of the weight is the EJ22 of course, however I also had the clever idea of making the mast pivot around a couple of support pillars to allow me to put the blades on by hand (without the need to use a gantry or similar set up), unfortunately that added a bit of weight. The landing gear is a solid fibreglass bow which added a bit of weight, the gearbox is from Russia and can handle 450 hp so added a bit of weight.. you get the idea.

The mast pulley system actually works really well. I built the pulley system into the mast and frame which allows me to lever up the whole assembly blades and all. You'll see in the pics.

Although designed as a two seater, I ended up making it a single seater to get flying quicker.. it looks kind of funny as a result though as the seat is up high and a long way forward compared to where it would have been as a two seater. Plus I extended the throttle body out so that it became the support for the instrument gauge so again, looks a little different.

I figure different is good

I ended up putting the 'mixing' unit below the cyclic and ran the PP cables up the mast in a semi conventional fashion. The PP cables connect to the 'standard' torque tube and everything at the top works in a conventional fashion. What has been a surprise with this set up is the lack of 'slop' in the cable system. It may be because the two PP cables are both loaded in pitch and roll (being mixed) so I assume both axis have to be exactly in the right spot at the same time to show up as slop.. I'm yet to feel where that position may be and it's felt very 'positive' whilst flying so far, no floppy stick moments.

The rudder is controlled by two PP cables. One of the benefits of PP cables is that I could cross them over so that the right pedal inputs right rudder whilst inputting right nose wheel steering using a very simple pedal design.

Anyway, thought it would be nice to close the loop on this thread and show a semi final result.

Cheers

Paul
          Click image for larger version

Name:	G0654 Gyro Pic_right.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	38045

Click image for larger version

Name:	G0654 Gyro Pic_pulley.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	38046