7x19 stainless steel wire cable 3.2mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7x19 stainless steel wire cable 3.2mm

Edit: see Maulonirs thread 3 down first, they do mail order so saves all the trouble

Whitworths Marine. Balaclava St. Wooloongabba.

Comment

Yes Buzz, but not everyone lives near a boatshop...... My offer is for people who don"t, and don"t trust e bay from china to send actual, genuine, good quality cable and know they will end up getting some number 8 fencing wire or clothesline wire or something.....If you live near a boatshop, airport aviation goodies shop or the like, then this thread wont help you..... If you live out woop woop I am happy to organise to send you what you need

Comment

I use Miami Stainless, they do mail order, www.miamistainless.com.auRob

Comment

Wow

Comment

Hi guys,This is a useful opportunity to indicate that - as Tech Manager - I"ll be proposing to the Board later this year that ASRA standardize on 3.2mm (actually 3.175") or 1/8" (Imperial) as the sole standard for rudder cabling for both single seat and 2-seat Australian built gyros. This would mean that all new build gyros presented for pre-registration inspection to a TA (as from whatever future date was set by the Board - usually 1 Jan or 1 July of whatever year the Board decides) would need to have 1/8" (Imperial) or 3.2mm (usually called "3mm") rudder cabling.This is because in our experience the swaging of cabling is probably the most "frought with danger" process in constructing a gyro. History has shown that - apparently - many constructors don"t bother to buy proper Nicopress swaging tools from Aircraft Spruce - and instead do the crimping with all sorts of dodgy arrangements including vices and even pliers. Looking along a flight line at any gyro gathering will show that this is clearly a problem area. Also, over the years reported incidents of cables pulling out of swages appear fairly regularly in our records, and several very serious crashes have also resulted.Readers should also note that cable swaging is particularly important in 2-place gyros, where the rudder cable setup needs to withstand a situation where a confused and panicky student"s wrong rudder pedal input needs to be instantly and completely overridden by an instructor jamming in opposite pedal. Think of the force needed to do that - and think about not only the cabling but also the surrounding structure such as pedal mounts, cable pulleys and control horns.Finally, I have arrived at a conclusion (after having conducted quite a few experiments with cables and swaging) that in my opinion that even with a proper Nicopress tool it is significantly more difficult to achieve a sound and reliable swage crimp on smaller diameter cable.

Comment

Hi guys,This is a useful opportunity to indicate that - as Tech Manager - I"ll be proposing to the Board later this year that ASRA standardize on 3.2mm (actually 3.175") or 1/8" (Imperial) as the sole standard for rudder cabling for both single seat and 2-seat Australian built gyros. This would mean that all new build gyros presented for pre-registration inspection to a TA (as from whatever future date was set by the Board - usually 1 Jan or 1 July of whatever year the Board decides) would need to have 1/8" (Imperial) or 3.2mm (usually called "3mm") rudder cabling.This is because in our experience the swaging of cabling is probably the most "frought with danger" process in constructing a gyro. History has shown that - apparently - many constructors don"t bother to buy proper Nicopress swaging tools from Aircraft Spruce - and instead do the crimping with all sorts of dodgy arrangements including vices and even pliers. Looking along a flight line at any gyro gathering will show that this is clearly a problem area. Also, over the years reported incidents of cables pulling out of swages appear fairly regularly in our records, and several very serious crashes have also resulted.Readers should also note that cable swaging is particularly important in 2-place gyros, where the rudder cable setup needs to withstand a situation where a confused and panicky student"s wrong rudder pedal input needs to be instantly and completely overridden by an instructor jamming in opposite pedal. Think of the force needed to do that - and think about not only the cabling but also the surrounding structure such as pedal mounts, cable pulleys and control horns.Finally, I have arrived at a conclusion (after having conducted quite a few experiments with cables and swaging) that in my opinion that even with a proper Nicopress tool it is significantly more difficult to achieve a sound and reliable swage crimp on smaller diameter cable.

Comment

That"s so true Mark, the correct ferrule for the cable is so important..... using the closest imperial ferrule on a metric cable or vice versa totally undermines the strength of the process. Just because the cable fits the ferrule "quite snuggly" doesn"t mean that it is the right one for the job.

Comment

Well, gentlemen,the next part of my current sermon takes up on Paul"s point: that gyroplane components MUST be visually inspectable.The completely unnecessary January 2012 deaths of 2 valued members in the Mangalore tragedy would have been prevented had the 4130 chrome-moly cross-tube been visually "inspectable". Instead, it had been manufactured from several separate component parts which when assembled together could not be inspected. This touches on Paul"s point - heat shrink covering has absolutely no place in any part of a rudder cable system. In fact, if one looks at the industry literature concerning the proper use of collars or ferrules, all the leading manufacturers require that a prescribed length of cable protrude from the top of the collar or ferrule as a visual indicator that the cable is not slipping and being drawn back into the collar.As our Construction Standards become more refined, details such as "inspectability" are being closely considered. In fact, it is likely that at some point in the future anyone presenting a gyroplane to a TA or the Technical Committee with what I call "closed out components" is likely to be turned down for registration UNLESS they present a full photographic and documentary record of the assembly sequence. What I mean by "closed out components" is where an assembly has been made up of a number of constituent parts and the process of assembly into a whole has then precluded the visual inspection of the constituent parts. In other words, for instance, if a person presents a machine for registration inspection with lots of fibreglass components that have been sealed up and painted over (thereby preventing internal visual inspection), then the TA or the Technical Committee will need a lot of convincing before the gyro will be signed off.The ASRA Technical Manual under development also emphasizes that the best quality workmanship reasonably achievable is to be the minimum standard acceptable. "Roughies" will no longer be accepted. Welding, metal cutting and finishing, hole drilling, etc all must be undertaken to the highest standard reasonably attainable. Taking my own situation for example, while I can gas weld with a Henrob torch to a fairly good standard, when it comes to my critical 4130 gyro parts, I always put them into the hands of skilled professionals. In my case, in Melbourne, I use Greg Foster from D & F Racing at Carrum Downs, who also happens to be the former Technical Manager of the Sprint Car Association. His welding is artisan quality.This is an example of the process where, although I could probably make the various components myself, when it comes to components where failure might have fatal consequences, the decision I make is to place the component into the hands of a professional. Regards to all,Mark ReganMelbourne

Comment

So many parts fit that Mark. Rotor heads, wheel bearing assemblies, things inside pods, wheel spats, propeller spinners not to mention engines and gearboxes...the list goes on.

Comment

Of course, Disco,But, common sense has to come into the situation as well.When we buy a new car - well, if we can afford to buy a new car - we have to take a lot of things for granted: that the engine was assembled correctly, that the gearbox has the right oil, that the hidden welds are sound. The list is endless. But, where a machine comes from a commercial manufacturer, and where it can be assumed that the manufacturer is belting out thousands, if not tens of thousands of the same model, it can be fairly safely assumed that with such a commercial investment at stake, that the manufacturer will have undertaken as many technical and structural tests as possible to ensure the product - car, washing machine, aeroplane - is of "marketable" quality. The same assumption just can"t apply to a homebuilt gyro, and even for a factory-built gyro the assumption won"t necessarily apply either, because production rates are so low. Even many "factory made" machines still essentially come out of "cottage industry" type small workshops and not off huge car-type production lines.When it comes to a one-off gyro being presented for registration, there will always be a long list of items where both the builder and the TA both have to take for granted that many of the components as supplied by the manufacturers are of acceptable quality - the engine, the rotor blades, the hub bar, the propeller, the seat tank, the aluminium extrusions, the wiring, the instruments, the tyres, and so forth.What I"m talking about here is where components have been assembled in such a way as to make visual inspection not possible, such as where a pod does not have inspection panels or access hatches so that really important parts of the structure can"t be looked at or touched.I recently was able to have a really close look at the internal structure of an MT-03 tail assembly (during a fatal accident investigation) and I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the minimal internal structure was (I think) birch very crudely bogged-in to mate up with the slick external mouldings. I was underwhelmed at what I saw.I"m sure you get the idea. Don"t take anything for granted.Cheers,Mark ReganMelbourne

Comment

Working...
                      X