Alcad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcad

Took my EJ25 kruzer cabin flying ship up for another flight test this morn. Taking off in still air buzzing under tree branches and dodging power wires (Thanks to indigenous politics) I was under full control but as soon as I got up a bit into the wind gusts she started wind cocking. Needs bigger vertical stabilisers I guess? I see the original kruser has giant twin rudders and stabilisers. So I"m trying to find an australian supplier of 6013 alcad around .6mm thick or whatever works and I"ll have a go at making something out of alloy. (Stuff working with resins and carbon fibre) I"ve been playing with bending alloy sheet around and squirting liquid foam into it instead of ribs with good success. Can"t find an au. supplier of alcad. Can any-one put me onto one?

It may sound funny, but for the tails of a couple of machines I built I used old printing plates... it is very thin aluminium and as I had worked as a bookbinder at print shops, I could get heaps of the used plates.... might be worth looking at if there is any big print shops near you? Newspaper printers etc. I did exactly like you want to do, made the skins, spar up the guts, fill with expanding foam, cap the ends.... paint

Comment

I"ve ordered 3 - 12ft x 4ft sheets of alclad and will have a play. The RAF tail weighs 12 KG alone so think I can beat that and have two big stabilisers as well and come in under weight. (The RAF tail will prob. end up on my "Wave Jumper")

Comment

Hi Max - I see you"ve already ordered. I didn"t read your original post until today - for the 12 " x 4" sheets of alcad in a huge range of gauges I use Airport Metals Australia, here in Melbourne. The best thing about them is that they"ll cut the sheets into halves or thirds or quarters, and will even sell some of the more popular gauges by the square foot, rather than having to commit to buy a whole 12 x 4-144 sq ft. Their minimum purchase is $100.Cheers,Mark Regan

Comment

Thanks Mark, yes I have used Airport metals and have asked them the cut into 6x4Ft.

Comment

Yeah it pays to shop around with aluminum. I was told by a metal fabricator to use Apple aluminum and i found they were less than half the cost of Capral Aluminium I"m not sure if they supply what your after though.

Comment

Did anyone look at printing plates?

Comment

Action Aluminium in BNE have a good range of products and will cut to size.Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob. I"m paying good money for this stuff prob. because it"s certified. Don"t know any print shops M.M. This is evolution. All the old tails look decorative hanging in the hanger. I"ve always wanted to have a go at alloy tails but was always reluctant to pay for quality A/C alloy. Have finally bitten the bullet. Now I"ll fine adjust the guiletein. Can"t afford a stuff-up cut. :"(

Comment

Working...
                  X