finally found one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally found one.

probably everyone has heard of " some one " knowing about an engine when dismantled, that it had an odd piston init.
    well I found a suby engine at the wreckers and just wanted it for the electronic dizzy and got the lot for $150.00 .
    it still had "oil only" in the sump, as black as and easily visible on the dipstick, turned over by hand , and I thought they are getting scarce so I took the lot. when I striped it down last night and took the heads off ,
    when i turned it over , all of the pistons came up level with the deck , 3 of them were standard looking [ completely flat ] but 1 had recess's for both valves in the top of the piston.
    had a big laugh and then thought , I can cross that off my bucket list .

An EA82 piston me thinks.

Comment

I am no mechanic Tony, but agree with Tim, a EA82 piston.

Justin had said that Butch had replaced the dizzy in G138, had used the dizzy of some other car that had needle bearing, as the EA81 had a bush/sleeve on the shaft and was worn. (made one up from the two parts). Tim may know

Straight and Level

Edit, Dished piston were on turbo models,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EA_engine
      Last edited by RossM; 23-04-2017, 08:14 PM.
      Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

it wasn't original so the factory boys are safe this time. so the ea 81 and 82 have the same sixe bore than????????

Comment

The turbo Pistons were dished and the EA82 pistons were fly-cut for valve clearance (if I remember correctly).
          Yes Tony, the same "sixe" bore.
          Last edited by Tim; 25-04-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

"G138, had used the dizzy of some other car that had needle bearing, as the EA81 had a bush/sleeve on the shaft and was worn. (made one up from the two parts). Tim may know."

Can't be positive Ross, but I think there was a needle bearing that was a perfect fit on the shaft and only required a poofteenth machined out of the housing to fit in place of the bush. However, a new original sintered bronze bush will outlast the life of most gyros. You just have to be very careful installing them.

Comment

the guys at performance ignition services said they could fit needle bearings but are happy with the bushes they supply, so I went with bushes. good quick turn around time as usual. can't recommend them highly enough. also told them it was for flying and they recommended and supplied leads that was more favourable for radios in aircraft. I'd have to look what they are now but anything that is a help with that is helping me , because I love my radio working and my brakes I recently fitted and and and flying. keeps me sane.
              last Saturday was the Childers monthly fly in breakfast followed by their monthly meeting . about 20 people turned up, only 1 member flew in , ME... those fixed winger guys are a crack up !!!!!!!! good bunch of blokes and ladies thou

Comment

Working...
              X