Fuel flow meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel flow meter

I'd like to install a fuel flow meter to my EJ25 but before purchasing one I'm scratching my head and wondering how one would hook up the senser as some of the fuel rotates back to the tank via the return line?

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in...ow/1105576.php

Comment

Max I've been looking into one myself, this MGL is about all I can find

Comment

G,day Max. The most common one we used was a readily available and cost effective one from good boat shops. We ran a separate small "surge tank" and the high flow fuel sucked and returned in the surge tank, which was fed from the main tank. The flow sensor was at the outlet from the main tank so it only registered what the engine was using, not what was circulating. It was very accurate.
        There is another one that works by counting pulses and duration from one of the injectors wires. Very accurate but first use required simple calibration

Comment

A mate of mine recently fitted a fuel flow meter to his Mto, I'll get in touch with him and see if he can add anything to the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by RickE View Post
          A mate of mine recently fitted a fuel flow meter to his Mto, I'll get in touch with him and see if he can add anything to the discussion.
          Rick, it would be carbys? So does not need a surge tank.

Aussie Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by aussie_paul View Post

Rick, it would be carbys? So does not need a surge tank.

Aussie Paul.
            Hi Paul, Tim was not suggesting a 'Surge Tank' because Max has a EFI motor, but as a way to measure fuel used with-out having to account for fuel bled back on the return line from the pressure regulator.

On another note, Echo recommends the use of something like this (or a fuel filter like the ryco marine filter in the post/link above). More so in-case some one is flying VERY close to empty, and different pitch (landing) in the gyro and the fuel seat drain is not covered in fuel [hope I explained that propper]

Regards Ross.......
            Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Morning gents. Two ways that it can be done. (1) Using a flowmeter in the fuel line, using another flow meter in the return line, the FF-1 can be set up to calculate the differential. Works quite well this way. (2) Setting a single flow meter straight after the tank then running the return line into a gascolator/filter as mentioned before the pumps. This means that the fuel will circulate rather than return to the tank. The third way would be to set the flowmeter in one of the carb fuel lines and adjust the K-factor to double the flow. This would work well if the carbs are balanced. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi bud, not that I am after a fuel flow meter, but what flow meter do you use.
                Regards Ross......
                Last edited by RossM; 01-05-2017, 10:03 AM. Reason: spell mistake
                Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Originally posted by RossM View Post

Hi Paul, Tim was not suggesting a 'Surge Tank' because Max has a EFI motor, but as a way to measure fuel used with-out having to account for fuel bled back on the return line from the pressure regulator.
                  "Snip"
                  Regards Ross.......
                  Fully understood Ross. Ricks mate's MTO would have a Rotax with carbys I would have thought, so what his mate did would not work on the EFI for fuel measurement.

Aussie Paul.

Comment

I have been looking for a marine or automotive unit to avoid the aircraft price tag but I am struggling to get a result. Seems to be a common tale reading this thread. I am replacing a mizer/northstar are out of business. Am after a 2nd hand comms system (

Comment

(VHF and UHF) as well if there are any surplus to requirements that would go into a single seat panel. Will make a wish list and post in the wanted thread in the next week or so.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on the fuel flow meter. To me it looks like too much bother so I shall work out my consumption by calbrating my sight tube.

Comment

Working...
                        X