Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru 2.2l engine brainstrust required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru 2.2l engine brainstrust required.

Looking for a "brains-trust" who has experience maintaining/installing/operating the Subaru 2.2 in a gyrocopter, in preparation for a new installation in case I strike trouble.

As far as I am concerned the 2.2 is a dam good affordable gyro engine with ample power. You have several options for the electronics. I have only used the NZ Autoflight gearboxes. There are some belt drive options which I am not familiar with. As far as maintanence I just change the oil and filter a little sooner than you would a car calculating 100 km as 1 hr. One must be careful with bleeding the coolant. make sure you get all the air out at the top of the engine. Air pockets have destroyed many engines. I found that out the hard way. The good part is you can always pick up a crashed car for $500 and get another engine.

Comment

Now looking for a recommendation to find someone who can get a g4 link ecu wired up. Not having any luck locally. SA or VIC are closest. Going into the Subaru 2.2 mentioned here.

Comment

ask Darrell Jones, he may be able to offer some advice.

Not sur if Darrell hops on the forum much now, his number is on the web site
        Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Thanks RossM, am in touch with Darryl and he is all over it - wealth of information on the subject.

Comment

Have the engine and computer almost ready to go, Would anyone have a EJ22 download for a Link computer. If not settings which are required so we can manually enter them. !st time working with a computer so any help appreciated.

Comment

Know how you feel I've still not got my Microtech perfect. So hard to find a nurdy person who is willing to work on a flying machine (Afraid of liabitity) and when you do they are often heavyweights and you can't put them in the sky. No need to be big anymore. we've invented guns

Comment

Getting closer to a start up. The Link computer issues overcome thanks to a Link support technician who logged into the ECU through my laptop via hotspot internet connection on my phone and programmed the gyro (in a Broken Hill hanger) from his home in New Zealand. Seriously impressive. My next question is what sort of fuel consumption can be expected or aimed for with a Subaru EJ 2.2 on a single seat Rosco.

Comment

I use about 18lt an hour at 4600 revs in a RAF 2 seater . On my old single seater i used about the same at 5000 revs cruze at 65kts

Comment

Now setting up an MGL E1 engine monitoring instrument so wanting to set parameters in the unit which will trigger an alarm if parameters are exceeded. Could anyone direct me to where I would find the following information for an EJ22

Maximum Cylinder Head Temp
                    Maximum Exhaust Gas Temp
                    Max Operating Engine Temp

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X