Test flying varies craft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test flying varies craft.

As an instructor and TA we get lots of requests to test fly craft mainly to give the proud owner some confidence before he or she hops in. Recently I was asked to test fly a rotax machine with the Ign. switches on a horizontal panel with No labels. I was sitting there wondering which way was on when an arm came down and pushed them one way and pulled the rope. The 582 roared into life and, as I was worried that the craft may have some weird reaction and I might bend the blokes pride and joy or worse be dead in the next 2 mins., I forgot to perform a L/R Ign. check. The craft flew like an angel and on landing I pushed the Ign. switches the other way and the motor kept running. I then pushed the switches back and the motor stopped, indicating that the flight was performed with the switches in the kill position and one switch was dodgy! Moral of the story -- LABEL YOUR BLOODY SWITCHES! :"(

Hi Max,Where did you test this craft? NT or WA?.... Juz curious...Lou

Comment

Guys,Just a reminder that the aviation std is up for live/on. max is correct it is always best to label as well as complying with aviation standards as published in the ac43.13.CheersAdrian S

Comment

????????Why be assup to the rest of the world?I always have mine " down- on" , coz if it is accidentally bumped, it"s Usualy bumped down.

Comment

Switches are like knickers, when they"re down they"re off.

Comment

Switches are like knickers, when they"re down they"re off.Mine are down......

Comment

Sorry Iouww, I"ve forgotten which state I was in to protect the innocent ;D

Comment

????????Why be assup to the rest of the world?Which world are you questioning? The aviation world or one of the others?I always have mine " down- on" , coz if it is accidentally bumped, it"s Usualy bumped down.Which is assup to the aviation world. And quite a few other worlds too, like marine, industrial, military and the likes that adhere to a bit of convention.Miles

Comment

I can see plusses for both sides...well, up"s & downs... ??? :

Comment

Take heed! --

Comment

Take heed! --

Comment

There ya go Max, happy now?Think that mango sap is seepn in where it"s not sposed to go.

Comment

i was told by an instructor that you shut an engine down which is why down is off, Makes sense to me!

Comment

Reckon this is the way to remember the standard... You fire up an engine & you shut it down... Can"t get it wrong after all it"s not the bathroom light switch we"re talking about!

Comment

This is good.I like to be different. ;DOne thing for sure, if sum bastered is thinkn of nickn off with my machine, he,s in for a supprise. >

Comment

Working...
                              X