M16 Trainer Rotax 912: enquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M16 Trainer Rotax 912: enquiry

Am wondering people's thoughts on trainer gyro's. I know of one which may be up for sale in the near future. 300hrs, Magni M16 Trainer 912, $85K.
    Given it has one owner but many pilots of varying skills and handling techiques, regular/legislative service, would it be something to be slightly concerned or no concern?
    Have seen other models for sale less price less hours, others have been bit higher in cost with slightly greater hours on the engine.
    I suppose just because a gyro has had one owner/pilot doesn't necessarily mean it's had better handling than a school trainer.
    What are your thoughts and suggestions.

Given that Rotax engines have a TBO of 2000 hours 300 is not a problem. As long as you can get it looked at by a TA and all AD's are up to date it sounds okay to me.
    i have flown a trainer with over 1000 hours on it and it flew just as good as mine with only 250 hours.
    Good luck with it all.

Comment

You will need the assistance of a knowledgeable TA who is familiar with the inspection of the airframe locations which are susceptible to abuse and heavy landings. Another clue is to get a Rotax 912/914 that has not been run on avgas - it halves the TBO with lead deposits affecting primarily the gearbox.

I am currently going down path of purchasing a 2nd hand rotax at the moment.

Regards........Chook.

Comment

• RossM
        RossM commented
        Editing a comment
        not doing up your EA81 Chook?

Ross I went to the local Suby dealer who informed me that they (Subaru) had drawn a line in the sand with regard to older parts and discarded all of their parts manuals before 1998 (IIRC). So even though they may still have the parts in their warehouse they had no way of knowing what they were.
      My EA81 has coolant seeping from the gallary that runs across the top of the engine within the crankcase halves (past the O ring) and although its not getting into the oil it will never improve. And even if I did take the time to repair it I will still end up with a 33 year old engine weighing in at about 115 kg (including the amax redrive). I'm getting too old to not have confidence in my aviation power plant and enjoy the ride.

Regards.............Chook.

Comment

I had a leak there also chook , I used a product called " chemweld " I think is was called that anyway. it is specifically for that type of problem.
        I had to do it twice but only because in the first bottle the product [ the actual product was settled in the bottle of the bottle . it must of been old old stock.
        anyway I did the treatment again and ensured that I stirred as well as shake the bottle this time . it worked and never gave any trouble leaking after that.
        sorry to hear your having trouble with it . how did your rotars repair go.

Comment

should of been " bottom of the bottle "

Comment

Working...
          X