Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Planning Cheat Sheet

Ladies and Gents,

I'm looking for comprehensive a step-by-step guide (cheat sheet) on flight planning, in chronological order, which outlines every consideration that should be taken into account during flight planning.

I was going to start compiling one myself in Microsoft Word, then thought that there would be a strong likelihood that a number of variations would already exist out there.

Not only am I looking at a resource that lists every consideration (and I know that not all of them will apply on every flight) but also lists those considerations in the correct chronological order. e.g. first considering NOTAMs and weather before one can make a determination on the height to fly on that particular leg of the flight etc.

If anyone has one, can make suggestions, or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Just PM me or post and we'll go from there.

Kind regards,

Trooper
    Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite......and furthermore, always carry a small snake!

It might not be exactly what your after but CASA put out a "ramp check" list for Sport pilots that tells you everything that you must check and carry with you before and on a X country flight. Waddles advised us to use it when we flew into Avalon the last couple of times for the Airshow.
    After doing quite a few trips around the country the one tip I can give you is that you can't over prepare for a flight.

Comment

not being an expert on navigation
      here is a start for somone to add to

*. first of all, define your destination, know where you are going
      *. plan your route you may want to avoid certain areas
      # tiger country
      # use PCA for radio frequencies, ERC for controlled, restricted, prohibited and danger areas
      # WAC to plan your route, mark your route, mark reference points, mark down coarse and distances
      *. get weather and notams
      * last light
      * what is your endurance, (both you and the gyro) where can you get fuel
      *What altitude are you flying at # fill out flight planning sheet, with fuel, track, wind, and heading
      #good idea to write down details of aerodromes on route and destination
      *choose a alternate Also ensure that you and the gyro is compliant,
      Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

I have found that flying into new airfields particularly with multiple runways can be a bit confusing.
        My research before a trip would include looking at the airfield on Google Earth for orientation purposes.
        There is also an App called "Runway Go" that is invaluable as it provides live wind direction at the airfield of choice.
        Last edited by RickE; 23-10-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gents. Greatly appreciated and I will make a note of all these suggestions with a view to formulating a comprehensive document.

Keep 'em coming gents. If you're reading this and have a suggestion but think it's too obvious or minor then please PM me instead, that way we might end up with a guide that missing nothing and the pilot just has to choose what's relevant to them and what isn't.

Rossco, you crack me up. I live on Cape York........it's ALL tiger country.
          Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite......and furthermore, always carry a small snake!

Comment

All of our ASRA Instructors issuing the XC Endorsement have the information. Contact your closest one or send me an email and I can assist.
            operations@asra.org.au
            Regards, Jeff.

Comment

When trip planning there are regulatory requirements as well as practical requirements.
              Notams and weather are some of the last things to be completed in the sequence and can't be done until the last minute to increase accuracy.
              The practical requirements are just as important and should be done well in advance. These items are Transport, Food, Fuel and Accommodation.
              To compile a list would be difficult as every trip has different considerations.
              Having said all that, a flying trip anywhere is worth the effort

Comment

Working...
              X