No announcement yet.

Nose Wheel Strut Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you mean BCAR-T Tim? Do you have Chuck Beaty's email address please? I can't find it anymore. Thanks.

Waddles.
    Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

I do not have his email address, he probably doesn't give it out and for good reason. I have PM'ed him and hopefully he will reply, possibly directly on the forum.
      regards Tim.

Comment

I caught up with Chuck on the US forum but I think he missunderstood my query. I have reposted and am waiting for a reply.

Comment

I remember several front wheel failures from memory in the early days even before your time Waddles
          you mentioned weld failures as not being counted. I think anything that contributes to a front wheel failure needs to be considered.
          The early failures I talked about after examination showed signs of slag intrusion in the weld, were ground for appearance and painted all looked good on the outside. The slag intrusion allowed water to enter and rust out from the inside. The grinding of the weld can if done wrong, can weaken the weld as well.
          I recently repaired a front wheel that failed while crossing a cattle grid . I determined that the grade and wall thickness were not appropriate for this application and I mite add pretty poor craftsmanship to boot.
          I personally have crossed several cattle grids in my tall tail with nill effect. So my thinking from my encounters with this problem is
          correct design and material selection for the design and good craftsmanship. If your not a competent welder shop it out. It will be much cheaper in the long run.
          I built a full aluminium benson style front wheel assembly with no in built suspension and fully welded it, many warned me against my choice of construction and I took it under advisement as I was new to gyro back then, but I monitored it for crack before each flight and even once used dye penetrant crack test kit to give me piece of mind. After selling that gyro I rang the new owner every year or so asking how it was holding up, all with good repo"rts.
          This gyro landed heavy on a down wind landing and rolled. later rolled again due to poor handling on another landing by a different owner.
          Each time the front wheel assembly was inspected with no signs of fatigue and reinstall with new hardware.
          This is not a praise me, I'm good post just saying, I took the advise of other on board and It haunted me for a good while. Maybe with good cause.
          Whether it was good luck or design it held up well.
          Building front wheel assemblies is tricky and with the strength in the correct location it will yield good results.
          As for me the cattle grid is a good test of strength. It shackles the **** out of the gyro though! And you.
          Cheers Sean

Comment

Been busy training lately hence my absence.

Thanks Tim. I hope Chuck will get back to you.

Thanks Sean. The weld I was referring to was faulty in that it wasn't done properly. There were signs of embrittlement in the break. A test such as what we are trying to formulate would most likely have picked up the fault and saved my a heap of dough!

The Tech department has all the info now and will likely start with BCAR-T and Pazmany and work from there.

I'll let you all know if there's an outcome.

Waddles.
            Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

hello sean, any chance of seeing a photo of your front wheel design. a picture paints a thousand words.

Comment

Working...
              X