For all that aren't aware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all that aren't aware!

I'm sure we all realise that we are pretty lucky being allowed to fly most places around Australia in class "G" airspace. One rule though that may not be widely known is that Gyroplanes are NOT allowed to fly over large public gatherings such as the recent V8 Supercar race at Newcastle without specific CASA approval.
    The reason for this regulation is pretty obvious and needs to be considered in all future flight planning.

My daughter was sitting on the cliff edge at Bondi last sun. when a tandem gyro came past. She's used to flying around the bush with me and was surprised that a gyro was allowed in that airspace. I informed her all about gyro's now going 'up market'. In fact they make dam good all weather economic shark and croc. spotters. O'l mate at Byron tells me every time he goes up he sees a shark. Authorities are not keen in telling the public how many are out there!

Comment

Originally posted by mad max View Post
      My daughter was sitting on the cliff edge at Bondi last sun. when a tandem gyro came past. She's used to flying around the bush with me and was surprised that a gyro was allowed in that airspace. I informed her all about gyro's now going 'up market'. In fact they make dam good all weather economic shark and croc. spotters. O'l mate at Byron tells me every time he goes up he sees a shark. Authorities are not keen in telling the public how many are out there!
      Yeah Max, some of our pilots are even creeping into controlled airspace.
      We did a run down the coast a couple of weeks ago to Victoria and I have never seen so many sharks, a bit of a worry for us beachgoers.
      This is a picture approaching Sydney heads at 400' and about 500 metres off shore. Click image for larger version

Name:	Victor one.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	36778

Comment

Crikey Rick, You'd have a bit of cliff climbing if the donk blew right then!

Comment

If I was sitting in that position I'd start thinking about my single ignition subaru EJ25. For us peasants that can't afford (or are not allowed) an overpriced rotax 912 I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to add a small magneto and controlable intake manifold injector which could be quickly switched into 'circuit'. A good challenge for a retired Auto sparky. (Keep my mind off whisky and wild women) The engine itself seems to be 'bullet proof' and you can get a good s/hand one for $500.

Comment

Originally posted by mad max View Post
            Crikey Rick, You'd have a bit of cliff climbing if the donk blew right then!

Comment

Oh! I forgott the gearbox would of course set you back $3,000. Yes I was sitting there at Coogie last Xmas watching rotorcraft buzing along that corridor.

Comment

Working...
              X