But where are all the members?
    They can't be all in the sky?
    You didn't all die?
    So where the hell are you all!

Those loverly craft that cannot stall
    are worthy of discussion
    We except anyone
    even if you're Russian

I think the biggest problem these days is there is to much social media to choose from, with Facebook and all the other mediums available the older "forum" style communication just isn't that popular I guess.
    Also if people need information they go to Google.
    Seems a damned shame that all the knowledge you veterans of the sport have collected over the years is being wasted.
    Hopefully we will all keep plugging away but it just aint right........

Comment

I like this style of forum and enjoy the Recreational Flying Forum which is an Australian based forum. The administrator of that forum recently announced that the format (similar to this) will become unsupported in its current format due to technology changes. Not sure what the implications will be but the regulars on that site have not taken that news eagerly. The Gyrocopters Australia Facebook group is used but not as often as other Facebook aviation groups like the paragliding and the bush pilots groups.

Not sure what the answer is to sparking some enthusiasm and encouraging people to get involved. It seems to me people either love this sport or hate it, there isn't much grey. Although there are positive things happening I believe the cost of insurance and availability of gyros for hire will continue to restrict access to aircraft for those who would like to take it on. Where would you start if you wanted to home-build or kit-build to help with affordability? Like most things in life if you are determined to do something you will find a way; however the reality for many is flying gyrocopters, will be far too expensive, when compared to other aviation options.

Comment

Aren't gyros supposed to be one of the cheapest form of aviation? I'm in the market for a near new gyro and have been a bit put off by the price for what you get (carby based rotax 914 for almost $40K !). Or is it the lack of options to rent them forcing gyro advocates to either stump up the big bikkies or go DIY?

Comment

If you're handy with you're hands and are not afraid to ask questions you can build a gyro with a second hand subaru engine for 25K and a lot of time. I like the 2.5x2.0 inch 'mechano' type construction. Easy to rebuild if you ding it. Yes, technology has gone berserk. I (and most of us) walk past people every day looking at their screens while walking. O'l mate the other day nearly got run over crossing the street watching his screen. Too much entertainment stealing our forum members. When I was young there was a wooden box on the wall with a crank handle. Today in my home i just say "Hey Google" then ask a question about almost anything and I get an acurate answer. (When robot women are available constantly reminding me that they love me and trying to entice me into a physical relationship you probably will no longer see me on this forum)

Comment

Originally posted by mad max View Post
            If you're handy with you're hands and are not afraid to ask questions you can build a gyro with a second hand subaru engine for 25K and a lot of time. I like the 2.5x2.0 inch 'mechano' type construction. Easy to rebuild if you ding it. Yes, technology has gone berserk. I (and most of us) walk past people every day looking at their screens while walking. O'l mate the other day nearly got run over crossing the street watching his screen. Too much entertainment stealing our forum members. When I was young there was a wooden box on the wall with a crank handle. Today in my home i just say "Hey Google" then ask a question about almost anything and I get an acurate answer. (When robot women are available constantly reminding me that they love me and trying to entice me into a physical relationship you probably will no longer see me on this forum)
            LOL!!!!!!!!!! good one Max,

Aussie Paul.

Comment

Working...
            X