Rocket tipped blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket tipped blades

I see some-one has perfected hydrogen peroxide rockets as a pre-rotator and is going up pretty steep after a 2 mtr. ground roll. H202 sounds fairly dangerous though. I"m wondering if valved pulse jets may produce enough thrust. They will run on almost any fuel and sound great ;D

Oye.....ol fella,
    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Actually my latest moonshine may power the pulse jets Russ. Thanks for the tip ;D

Comment

This one uses jet thrust thru hollow rotors and out nozzles, does that count? ;D

Comment

Hey Max thanks for reminding me. I forgot that recipe, I believe it"s Hydrogen peroxide and Kerosine. I was thinking about compressed air nozzles but you would need a lot of air. You can make good solid rocked fuel with potassium nitrate and sugar, it"s called rocket candy. I like your thinking though so keep it going there"s got a be a way. I was thinking a little belt driven compressor and a accumulator discharge tank you would only need it occasionally so not a big loading on the engine. Maybe little ram jet rockets.

Comment

If only little ram jets would fire at pre-rotator speed then I can visualise the blades full of kerosene and the fuel pressure would come up with enertia and spray through little jets and a spark via an enertia switch. If only one fired you"d be in a bit of a pickle. What about a doughnut shaped tank on the hub-bar and you fill it from a compressor on the engine with a hose to about 1000 lbs. then remove the hose and let an enertia valve let the air escape through the blades to tip jets when pre-rotating. Only need 30 seconds of thrust for the extra 200 rpm. I bet some masterbater will say your driving the blades while in flight for a few seconds and breaking the law ;D

Comment

Max ole mate your a genius, yep cavitated alloy blades would have plenty of fuel storage as long as they were equal burn. The Apollo Titan 5 rocket engines used oxygen and kerosene and they got 25 000 Mph in 8.5 min burn. You would only need wee little rockets to get the rotors spinning 200 rpm. Think if you needed altitude or you got that neg G feeling or if they stated flappen just hit the button WiZZZ "meet George Jetson... And his son Leroy" daar da da da daar da da...Keep thinking Max Your onto something.Mike.

Comment

I am very fond of the idea of tip thrust for the final stages of pre-rotation as there"s no torque reaction and you can leave it engaged during take-off untill it runs out of fuel. Most of us have airstrip problems and if we can safely get airborne in at least 100 mtrs. Some of us lucky buggers have a back yard that size as long as you have some clear country beyond and a friendly neighbour ;D However I"ve seen a u tube of a gyro going straight up with hydrogen peroxide rocket tips but it sounds expensive, complicated, dangerous, and prob. illegal ;D

Comment

Nah it ain"t rocket science Max, pretty simple stuff if you think about it. I also would like a big paddock to play in like the old days. You could do whatever and nobody gave a toss. That"s how i worked out a lot of this stuff. Me and my brother used to make rockets when we were kids. If we couldn"t make it fly we would blow it up. Used to give dad the Sh!ts though but we were smart enough not to loose an eye or fingers. And we knew our limits of stupidity also we didn"t have a TV for years and never missed it as we were making our own entertainment. If you look at the principal of the kerosene primes that is the same principal as the rocket as the fuel is gaserfied

Comment

I wonder if anyone has had any luck with the idea of tilting a large horizontal stabiliser up at the rear to deflect prop wash up into the blades? Come-on Tim, you must of tried that in your younger days. You must of finished plucking flees and scratching your armpits by now ;D

Comment

I saw on google I think, a bloke made a banana shaped, tractor gyro that the motor (up front) tilted so the entire prop blast went up thru the rotors

Comment

way back in my low hours days and my first bingle on a beach, afterwards I fitted a large tail wheel, yep 200 mm in diameter. to make that fit I changed the angle of my keel and obviously the horizontal stab too. it wasn"t to deflect the prop wash up any where, simply to fit the large tail wheel in.[ but it did deflect prop wash ] any way that small change

Comment

Here is a pic of the gyro I was talking about before... I got the pic from google images and it said the pic came from the US forum,

Comment

An easier way is to be a gentleman and let your mate prerotate first. You get behind him and use his prop wash to help get your rotors "over the hump".Regards.........Chook.

Comment

been there, done that, works ok too ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X