Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waddles
    replied
    Hey Max. Are your VSs in or out of the propeller slipstream and do you also have a fixed VS with the rudder attached? i.e. A tri-tail.

Waddles.

Leave a comment:

• mad max
    replied
    I just love the freedom to experiment a little and flight test ones ideas. My wife once sugested we lash out and purchase a good second hand European bathtub but I supprised myself and said I'd rather stick to my homemade flying machine as it's an engineering challenge as well as pilot skill challenge.
    Last edited by mad max; 20-10-2017, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    I didnt read your post properly Max but stabilizers are a interesting topic.

Leave a comment:

• deandob
    replied
    I'm currently knee deep in flight and gyro theory as I prepare to start lessons soon, so I have a question about the theory of a V tail. I have read a thread on the rotary forum that sings the virtue of V tail based on wind tunnel tests - but as I understand the horizontal stabiliser is the important element in the tail for safety to dampen any tendency for pitch oscillation. So surely a V tail is a poor match for a gyro? Assuming a v-tail doesn't use a horizontal stabiliser (would look weird) and the horizontal vector forces on the V tail wouldn't be as effective as the typically sized horizontal stabilisers I see on most gyros (about the size of writing desk).

Let me know if I'm off beam in this thinking.

Leave a comment:

• mad max
    replied
    In my case Brian it's two vertical stabilisers. Not V tail. my theory was if two stabilisers are slightly pulling in towards each other then there maybe more stability than two equally profiled on both sides. My airspeed seems the same however I may of not noticed a slight loss due to a bit of extra drag.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    V tails leads me back to the V tail Bonanza, Remember when they first came out .....nearly & was taken by the V tail. Rumors I heard were that the V tail were a bit more twitchy than conventional & if memory serves me correct a few of them crashed but have no idea why that so. Was one in Mildura that crashed after takeoff at Robinvale nearly wiping out a Mildura firm of accountants coming back from Melbourne. Guess its the disasters that we remember first.

Leave a comment:

• Warhorse1997
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mad max
    started a topic Vertical stabilisers

Vertical stabilisers

I have twin Vertical/stabilisers and when manufacturing the profile of one I seemed to make it more like an airfoil
    with lower pressure on one side so I made the other the same but opposite and assembled them so that there was a bit of 'pull in' towards the centre when wizzing through the air, thinking that it may have a more stabilising effect and it worked well. The next day I observe a photo of a Russian helicopter with twin rotors and low and behold I observed they had turned the stabilisers slightly inward at the front for extra stability I assume. (us Vikings must think alike)
    Last edited by mad max; 18-10-2017, 09:07 PM.
Working...
X