No announcement yet.

Ground angle of tail dragger Gyro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Daryl, congrats on a job well done so far. I think you are going to have to change the idea of filling the tanks. You should install a filling point "outside" the aircraft since it would be quite dangerous attempting to fill the tanks by reaching inside over the seat. just a small observation.

Comment

Good point Barry, that sort of stuff is laid out in the 2 seater standards, have you been consulting them Daryl?John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Good points John and Barry. It is far easier to do many of the required tests during manufacture than it is to pull the machine apart later. Mostly a simple photograph and explanation is all that is required.Tim McClure

Comment

I have printed out the two seat standards and do look at them, although I should study them a bit more thoroughly than I sometimes do. I planned to use an extension pipe/funnel ( for want of a better word) that stays with the gyro. It fits in the tank inlet, so that the fuel is poured in from (or spilt) outside the gyro. Best I re-check the standards.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Tim. You were right about the angle. The Little wing notes say."For this adjustment, aircraft is placed on it's gear. Again, place protractor on centre longeron. Adjust protractor to read "0" degrees. Now, place protractor on cheek plate edge. Rotate plates on pivot untill a reading of 9 degrees (tilted back from level) is established."If I take out the words "from level" it suddenly becomes a whole lot clearer to me.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Hello,Please excuse my intrusion. You may exceed 9 degrees ground angle on a tractor gyro, but you will have to deal with the aoa issue with pilot technique. If you extend the rotor head travel beyond 0 degrees whith the gyro in level flight position, IT IS FATAL!If you are concerned with float opperation, the gyro should rest in near level flight with pilot on board. Take offs will be closer to cruise speed and landings should be under slight power and extended, power off landings are achievable but not always enjoyable.keep 'em whirling

Comment

Hello,Please excuse my intrusion. You may exceed 9 degrees ground angle on a tractor gyro, but you will have to deal with the aoa issue with pilot technique. If you extend the rotor head travel beyond 0 degrees whith the gyro in level flight position, IT IS FATAL!If you are concerned with float opperation, the gyro should rest in near level flight with pilot on board. Take offs will be closer to cruise speed and landings should be under slight power and extended, power off landings are achievable but not always enjoyable.keep 'em whirling

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whirlybugHello,Please excuse my intrusion. You may exceed 9 degrees ground angle on a tractor gyro, but you will have to deal with the aoa issue with pilot technique. If you extend the rotor head travel beyond 0 degrees whith the gyro in level flight position, IT IS FATAL!Why please?[?]If you are concerned with float opperation, the gyro should rest in near level flight with pilot on board. Take offs will be closer to cruise speed and landings should be under slight power and extended, power off landings are achievable but not always enjoyable.keep 'em whirlingAussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whirlybugHello,Please excuse my intrusion. You may exceed 9 degrees ground angle on a tractor gyro, but you will have to deal with the aoa issue with pilot technique. If you extend the rotor head travel beyond 0 degrees whith the gyro in level flight position, IT IS FATAL!Why please?[?]If you are concerned with float opperation, the gyro should rest in near level flight with pilot on board. Take offs will be closer to cruise speed and landings should be under slight power and extended, power off landings are achievable but not always enjoyable.keep 'em whirlingAussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

The rotor disc tilted forward of 0 degrees in flight is a ppo. A ppo is normally from unloading the disc and getting a negative coning angle with stick forward (allowing air to pass from "above" to below the disc). To set a rotor head up to exceed horizontal in level flight would allow a ppo with stick forward, without unloading the rotor disc (light in the seat). As long as the pilot never exceeds the horizontal position there would be no problems, but why design the ability to tumble without warning? I don't know any survivors of a power push over.keep 'em whirling

Comment

The rotor disc tilted forward of 0 degrees in flight is a ppo. A ppo is normally from unloading the disc and getting a negative coning angle with stick forward (allowing air to pass from "above" to below the disc). To set a rotor head up to exceed horizontal in level flight would allow a ppo with stick forward, without unloading the rotor disc (light in the seat). As long as the pilot never exceeds the horizontal position there would be no problems, but why design the ability to tumble without warning? I don't know any survivors of a power push over.keep 'em whirling

Comment

Phil as an example, my machines head is set up to tilt forward to a maximum of about 2 negotive.The only time I use it is to help slow the blades in a stiff breeze, and ensure no autorotation is possible.During flight the head sits at about 9 degree's and as speed is increased, the blow back angle increases causing the pilot to push stick forward to fly straight and level. This blow back is trying to lift the blades as they pass the front of the machine. Most machines would probably run out of forward stick before the disc gets anywere near 0 degree's.If your machine is set up correctly and exibits positive stability, then it is almost impossible to lower the disc past 0 degree's.Unless the pilot wants to commit hurry curry.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Phil as an example, my machines head is set up to tilt forward to a maximum of about 2 negotive.The only time I use it is to help slow the blades in a stiff breeze, and ensure no autorotation is possible.During flight the head sits at about 9 degree's and as speed is increased, the blow back angle increases causing the pilot to push stick forward to fly straight and level. This blow back is trying to lift the blades as they pass the front of the machine. Most machines would probably run out of forward stick before the disc gets anywere near 0 degree's.If your machine is set up correctly and exibits positive stability, then it is almost impossible to lower the disc past 0 degree's.Unless the pilot wants to commit hurry curry.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Working...
                            X