June 2006 Meeting and Flying Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 2006 Meeting and Flying Activities

http://www.asra.org.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1677I will be there all weekend in the UFO for those interested.Updates to follow.See you there!!Regards,ChristopherLockwood Sth. VIC(Secretary RAV Inc.)Speaking without thinking; is like shooting without taking aim - Spanish Proverb

quote:Originally posted by gyro_avi8orhttp://www.asra.org.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1677I will be there all weekend in the UFO for those interested.Updates to follow.See you there!!Regards,ChristopherLockwood Sth. VIC(Secretary RAV Inc.)Speaking without thinking; is like shooting without taking aim - Spanish ProverbCongratulations on you trip home Chris.[^] Your old man gave me a call today for a yarn.Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

G'day Paul,Were you able to get a word in apart from answering the phone?Trip went well, burnt 82 lts for 240nm, airspeed 80KIAS for GS of 58kts. Landed at Charlton to top up, could have made it home non- stop with 8 lts to spare, but better safe than sorry. Can't post pics of trip yet, my computer is down and using Oni's laptop which doesn't have a USB port for the scanner.Will catch up at the TA course.Regards,ChristopherLockwood Sth. VIC(Secretary RAV Inc.)Speaking without thinking; is like shooting without taking aim - Spanish Proverb

Comment

Well done Chris. If my maths is correct you are getting an hourly burn of just under 20 liters per hour which I sure you would be happy with. Was the trip smooth?PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

G'day Pete,Given the strength of the cross wind then head wind it was fairly smooth. Your math is correct 19.7lt/hr to be precise, I thought damn good for 80KIAS. The plan was for 70KIAS but with the speed of the wind, I decided to bump it up to 80KIAS just to cut the time down a little. Nudged the throttle a couple of time to 100KIAS to see how she handled, gets a bit sensitive at that speed. Still got some in reserve before the VNE, but just happy to potter along around 80KIAS.Regards,ChristopherLockwood Sth. VIC(Secretary RAV Inc.)Speaking without thinking; is like shooting without taking aim - Spanish Proverb

Comment

Excellent Chris but please be wise with the top end throttle bursts. The UFO sounds as if it is performing better than your expectations. What revs was the motor doing at these speeds? I will be pleased if my two seater achieves 1000 foot a minute climb let alone 1500 as the UFO is doing. Look forward to seeing some of the pictures of your flight back in the near future.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Guys, don't forget to mention gross weight when you are refering to performance figures. There is a big difference one or two up and full an empty fuel with two seaters.With Hybrid I had a 25 liter drum filled with concrete That I used as the datum, approx 1100 lbs(500kg) to work from with all the testing I conducted. I also made sure that the fuel was, if I remember correctly, approx 50 liters.Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

What about geting that computer fixed Chris ??Picture Please .....cheersArt SpinkGyroNews EditorWyangala/Maroubra NSW

Comment

gyro_avi8or@bigpond.com or 0417 34 9642 and leave a message, as I will be interstate and in/out of mobile reception.Hopefully the UFO will be in ther air again after my incident taxying last weekend. Yes there has been an incident report lodges with Waddles.Regards,ChristopherLockwood Sth. VIC(Secretary RAV Inc.)Speaking without thinking; is like shooting without taking aim - Spanish Proverb

Comment

Working...
                  X