SLAC Safari 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLAC Safari 2012

Guys,I am canvassing interest in running another flying safari next year.Approx 1200nm, 30hrs Flying, 10+ days tour of Southern WA. Bindoon, Murray Field, Bunbury, Busselton, Yallingup, Margeret River, Augusta, Manjimup, Walpole, Denmark, Albany, Bremer Bay, Jerramungup, Ravensthorpe, Esperence, Salmon Gums, Norseman, Lake Johnston, Forrestania, Wave Rock, Kondinin, Corrigin, Quairading, Cunderdin, Goomalling, Calingiri, Bindoon.This would be structured to allow FW Aircraft from Bindoon & Calingiri to join us on this one. As with the last trip, gyro pilots from East of WA are encouraged to join us and a "visa" can be arranged!Please let me know if you would be interested in this or another route.

Guys & Girls,Update meeting for this years safari to be held at Bindoon this Sunday 1100hrs. Intention is to confirm route, discuss accomadation etc. At this stage we have 10+ aircraft and 18+ people who have expressed an interest. After this meeting I will publish the new details and email direct those that are on the trip mailing list and not able to get to Bindoon.Thanks,Adrian ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Sounds good mate let me know if i can help down this waywolfy

Comment

Hi Adrian - depending on the fine detail I would like to join in - from Margaret River onwards anyway. Pl send me some info when convenient.Michael.

Comment

Hi Adrian, Been laying around since 29/12/2011 flat on my back not able to goAny where as I found I was not invincible as I believed. Looks like a couple more weeks doing the same lying about. Would be interested if I am on my feet again. With 9 screws in the heel I feel a little screwed up. Will talk to you in the near future. Cheers Des laying about Garvin.

Comment

Guys & Girls,Based on the meeting we had recently the 2012 Safari will be reduced in time and distance due to accomadation issues. We are still planning for a departure on the weekend of the 31 March with a return to Bindoon on Good Friday 6th April 2012. Further details to follow.Adrian

Comment

Guys & Girls,Destinations etc are now being locked in for our 2012 Low & Slow Safari. 31 March to 6th April 2012A summary of the trip is listed below;800nm + Approx 16hrs Flying timeMeet Bindoon Saturday 31st March at 11am for final briefing and packing of A/craft & vehiclesDepart Day 1 Sat 1300hrs,

Comment

Hi to all flyers Ewan from Esperance hear the trip sounds great we have not long had our new machine and have a clash of dates on that week, and your route is still a fair way away for us. anyway if anybody gets down this way feel free to get in touchregards Ewan 0427238130

Comment

Ewan,Next time we fly your way we will certainly drop in. Keep your eye on this SLAC page as we generaly go on a long safari trip every other year as well as smaller trips through out the year. Great to hear you are solo and enjoying your new gyro.Adrian. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Guys,The trip is all systems go, the long range weather forcast is OK unless another cyclone forms up north next week. What the hell we will go anyway!Depart Bindoon Sat 31st 1300hrs just after lunch. Return Good Friday weather permitting. If there are any late comers please get in touch with me asap. Its not to late to join us for 7 days of great flying, visits to interesting properties and of course the camaraderie. Adrian ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Guys,The 2012 SLACWA Low & Slow Safari was a success and all who participated had a great time. Day 1.

Comment

At Dowerin. Photos of the trip. More to come after sorting.

Comment

Day 2.Richards Farm - Goomalling strip- Northam - White Gum Farm - Beverley - NarroginMost of us had a comfortable nights sleep and arose to a quick shower and breakfast. Pack up went like "clock work" and we lined up for departure. Murray, Adrian and Lou got off quickly with Richard radioing to the group that he needed more air in his front tyre. Adrian replied with- we will wait for you at Northam if necessary as Richards gyro a ELA 914t can out run all of us even two up so we were sure that he would catch up by Northam. We heard Richard with Malcolm as passenger depart again as we were getting close to Goomalling. Very soon after we got a radio call from our Recovery vehicle base station advising that Richard had turned back to his farm after experiencing a "horrific vibration". The rest of us were on track to Northam and decided to continue on, land at Northam and ring Richard to see if he could fix the problem or he had to leave his gyro at his farm. After a conversation with Richard it was clear that his problem was complex and potentially dangerous - not something to do a quick and dirty repair. Richard pulled out of the trip at this early stage. The flight to Northam was reasonable, a little turbulence and 6/8 cloudLanding at Northam had another significance as the airfield management (local areoclub) had banned gyro"s and trikes from being based there on the grounds they were considered too noisey, we wanted to fly in and out to prove that they were just as quite as some of the Ag planes and Cessna"s that are based there.Some of us took on 10l of fuel and after we warmed up we departed for White Gum Farm. White Gum is a private strip with hangers and accommodation that houses many trikes, a few fixed wings and one gyro a MT03 Sport. Gary Sargent (the developer of the EQ headsets) has built this place as a weekend destination for aviators. It presently has a trike and fixed wing school run by Gordon the CFI and Gary the owner is taking about building a hotel and swimming pool to complement the current aircond rooms and outdoor bar! SkySports at White Gum is a recommended destination or location for learning to fly a trike or plank wing. If you are interested give Gordon at Sky Sports a call, you wont be disappointed.The flight to White Gum was reasonably quick in similar overcast conditions.We landed at White Gum and were met by the locals with Tea and freshly baked scones thanks to Mary(a Foxbat pilot that lives there on weekends) . The ground crew were 30 to 45min behind on this leg but they still got to get a warm drink and scones. Those of us that hadn"t been there before were given a tour by Gary. All good things must come to an end so we refueled and took off for our next destination Beverley.Beverley is another Weatbelt town with a reasonable strip that also has a very active gliding club based there. Our flight from White Gum was more of the same weather wise. We landed after some gliders and discussed if we had enough fuel to push on to Narrogin with out refueling. Fuel was checked and we all had enough plus a 30min reserve so a quick call was made to the ground crew to say we were departing for Narrogin. The leg between Beverley and Narrogin was definitely harder, more turbulence and strong winds but so far we had managed to dodge any real rain. What we did have to fly through was quite a lot of smoke from the burning of crop stubble.

Comment

Photos from Northam, white gum

Comment

more......

Comment

Working...
                              X