No announcement yet.

Sport Copter in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a fine pitch setting the blades will have minimal response to wind gusts and thermals and would be ideal for flying out to and returning from a job, but would absorb a lot of horsepower at low airspeed.A medium pitch could be used for the average mustering job, and a course setting that will respond very quickly for the likes of mustering feral goats or scrub cattle where the job may only take a few hours but is full on.Yeah see that is the problem right there as i feel you need 3 blades in one, cause i have had days very recently where i could have swapped blades 4 or 5 times, so what to do, go somewhere in the middle and just do it???

Comment

Know the feeling well Bones, I prefer being in the middle, if its a shirty lift day, I just use a bit more power [still have 1000 revs up my sleeve] and if its a real bouncer of a day, I just tighten the belt a bit tighter and try to enjoy the ride.Rotors are a difficult thing to choose as the variables are so many and the time of year/ wind .weather/ all play a part. As well, say you get a new set thats a foot longer, you think first off, terrific, all this extra lift bla bla etc, 6 months down the track, you have got used to the extra lift and are now thinking they could be better!It would be great to be able to go somewhere and test fly a number of different rotors and sizes so you have some hope of getting it near right.

Comment

Sorry guys for my silence!

Comment

Does power help to compensate for the lack of lift with smaller rotors?Yes n no.Bigger rotors let you float at much less power settns, but wen you do start to sink, you sink longer, and they are sluggier.Shorter rotors with more power can give you same lowest AS, but the prop will be taken more weight off the rotors [ more nose high] and things like torque roll and "locked stick" can get you in trouble too.But, if you fly wot your hangn off, youll never get into trouble.

Comment

I think Birdy said it pretty well, personally, I wouldnt go with short rotors as I like the comfort of what I got.Dam, missed Avalon again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Changing the pitch on a rotor will make a difference in the way it flys. The pitch on the sport copter blades can be changed on the machine, but reading about them on another forum there is a bit of fiddling around retracking them.

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments.

Comment

Landing isnt the problem re suspensions [well, most of the time] its the taking off bit on areas that are less than ideal is where I see the suspension coming to good use. The Rosco, while extremely tough, isnt the greatest for rough ground, not that you would want to be taking off on rough ground all the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X