Why gyros are the safest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why gyros are the safest.

Make yourself a coffee, this is a long one. 2 days ago, bout 3pm i headed off to help out a niebour 100km south of ere.He wanted me to check out the Numery Pound, for surface water after recent rains.This pound is roughly 20squ miles of proper tiger country, ringed by shear 300" ranges, with only a coupla ground acsess routs where the pound water runoff drains through gouges in the ring.Was 45c wen i left ere, with a blustery north wind.Though it makes hard work of any low presision flyn, i like it coz it reminds me of just how controlable these little machines are.Arrived at his homestead, but noone was there, so i kept go"n, over the ring and into the pound.The roll turbulance off the rim of the ring was amazn.Soons i passed over it, i droped like a rock, down into the unorganised chaos of the pound, and kept thinkn to meself, " this is the ONLY way you ever get a look at this beautifuly ruggered country."Was only in there for bout ten mins, and was trackn along a narrow shear sided rocky gully as it decended in short drops till it joined a bigger creek, also shear sided, only it was deeper, the rocks were bigger, and the lush green scrub thicker. [ all of wot happens in, and wot gose through my mind in the next paragragh takes about 1 1/2 seconds, and is testiment to the brains computeing speed and ability wen the **** hits the fan.]As i approched the junction of the two water ways [ which BTW, were dry], i remember thinkn, "im approchn a point of no return", and was anticipateing the strong roll turbulance off the hill i was flyn leaward of, and at that point, there was a strong lurch down, i gave a little throttle to counter the downer when "Fhut",......... nuthn!!!!!FAAAAA............ .!!!!!!!!!!!Throttle cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have no idea why, at a time wen every mili second counts, i took the time to check the throttle cable, hopen it let go at the handle were i could rip it out of the houseing and pull the inner and power out, but no, it let go sumwhere else.Then **** deepens.Now i gota setup a fored landn. With a quick periferal glance over my rite side, no, nuthn but big rocks and steep sides, nuthn but the same out frunt and i wouldnt clear it from this hight, and a "standard, hard left bank 180" woulda had me in the other gully on me left. Only option was the sopt i just flew over, it wasnt the best, but in this situation, it looked like a highway.Trouble was I was in strong sink with unpredictable roll turbulance from the hill, only bout 40 mph AS and 70" AGL BEFORE the noise stoped, the "spot" was directly behind me, and the spot was at about a 15 degree slope, still near full fuel, and the DA was very high with the 40 odd degrees.The rest is speculation, coz it happened so quick, and the machine is streight, but i had to do a spot 180, retrace bout 40 yards back where id just been, time the flair zactly

F***N amazn little machine.:yo:Would any other aircraft be able to do that? I very much dout it.Not wrong there birdy. Just a little change like a broken throttle cable can cause some big changes in the days plans. But as they say a change is as good as a holiday. Look at it this way, you had a scenic flight through some nice country then a leiserly stroll through the same country well eqipped with hiking boots and on top of that you got to do some desert 4 wheel driving. A lot of people will pay money to do all that.

Comment

Mate, for an illiterate prick, you sure can write a great yarn. Forgive my ignorance- what"s the wasa?

Comment

Hmmm so this is why you not answer your telephun lately, poor excuse but least you had one

Comment

Just a little change like a broken throttle cable can cause some big changes in the days plans. But as they say a change is as good as a holiday.Iv never liked the idea of haven duel everythn ona 912, but still only one throttle cable.Mite of been a very unlikely thing to fail, but fail it did, so ill have duel cables now. Kinda gets me thinkn that there is sumone lookn over me shoulder, like a cheeky horse. Just waitn for a chance to try me. >Wen you consider the country i was over, and that id probably only spent a totle of maybe 50 hours out of 4000 odd, over sumthn you cant spot on, and sumthn like a cable end fails........ . He timed it pretty well spoton if he did.But not well enuff, coz im still ere. Forgive my ignorance- what"s the wasa?Its me RAF, it was a RAF, till i fixed it. poor excuse but least you had oneDidnt get any messages, you no excuse for that av ya?

Comment

They dont seem to go at the best of times. Mine went when I cut the throttle and dived in behind some cattle. I give it full throttle just before the bottom of the dive to pull out and clear the trees and nothing happened. I was lucky there becuse I was able to patch the cable and push it out to where I could take off. I flew through a lot of gorge country in the kimberlies and if any thing had put me down there It would have been a bloody long walk home. The two cables sound like a good idea. Did you get them doubled up to the carbies or just to the splitter.

Comment

Well saved old mate. That sat phone is worth is weight in gold !!Pleased to hear that someone else is having fun.

Comment

Havnt dun it jet, its as was for now, till i get to town [ probably 6 munths] for more gear, but ill be run"n cables from each carb to the handle. No splitter.Booldoth Brian, saved bout anatha 15km of foot work. I hada good look over this mor"n and found the diagonal strut under the engine, from mast to keel had been slightly compressed, which allowed the frame to flex far enuff for one prop blade to strike the butt end of the drop in the keel, so im up for buggerall realy.

Comment

I think this is more about pilot ability than the machine. You are far too modest. Most will panic for the 1st 10sec, and then react when it is too late. Second nature is a time and comfort thing and quite a few hours beyond the self confidence stage.I"ve been running 2 cables for a couple of yrs. Each runs to the opposite end of the control so that if anything breaks in between one will still work. Plus, I replace my cables a bit more regularly than you

Comment

Their you go, I said it before you had a chance. KenBut ill second the motion anyway, just to be sure. I think this is more about pilot ability than the machine.Maybe, but wot other machine could do it??I hada local R22 bloke drop in for a cuppa this mor"n and he reconed, from that hight, ANY chopper pilot would had only one option, and that was to kiss his dear ass goodby. He"s seriously thinkn bout changn rotorcraft breeds, for this very reason.He spends the same amount of time as i do, do"n zactly the same thing, and he sees the unequaled safty value.BTW, 10 secs after the noise stopped, you woulda had time to stop bleedn and started to bloat.

Comment

"We gave up on maken any more plans for abit."Ever the master of the understatement.You have not let me down. Always delighted when you suggested making a cup of coffee. Always a good yarn. You make it all sound easy. 45 degrees heat, I guess a water bottle of some size, and "flying boots". Did they last the distance? And a camel frightener.Give us a ring next time, and I will come keep you out of trouble. We would have been in the Wasa....Graham

Comment

45 degrees heat, I guess a water bottle of some size, and "flying boots". Did they last the distance? And a camel frightener.Yup, the water bottles dont last long in that warm air, specialy wen your tryn to be a mountain goat. Never mind them flyn boots. [ but, they was only a week old that mor"n, and now look like 6 munths. kinda need a retread.]Give us a ring next time, and I will come keep you out of trouble. We would have been in the Wasa....Go"n west this arvy, and will be headn back THERE tomorrow.

Comment

dave ,as usual your stories make everyone feel like they are right there with you. i had tears in my eyes from laughing and also from worry. i had asked awhile ago about your all up take off weight at a time from one other story. my reason was the strength of your landing gear. is what you have preferred for out back repair as opposed to a fibreglass type unit [ mitch, you could kick in here with gflg ]. i feel a bit better now with my duel s/u on a common manifold and duel every thing, pumps, filters, throttle cables

Comment

my reason was the strength of your landing gearStrong enuff it seems to withstand a drop at near virtical decent speed.Its a reenforced Rosco setup, with bout 2" travel from coil springs over rubber dampners.

Comment

you should give a reprint in the mag it makes great reading, and not every body gets on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X