No announcement yet.

gyro crash north of brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have got very limited time in RAF"s and I"m not sure of the spring setup in front of the rudder pedals. When the Cable let go the gyro went into a high degree of yaw,so much that there was not enough power to keep it in the air.Maybe some sort of system where the spring tension is at the tail not the rudder pedals?As I said before with the amount of testing we have done we found swages of the same size are not necessarily the same dimensions. The cable was 2mm not 2.4 which is the smallest required under the standards.The swaging tool was a good quality marine type,but it could be worn or not calibrated.If any of you are familiar with the "Swiss Cheese" accident/no accident diagram where if all the holes line up the result being an accident then this is a classic example.

Comment

Just my ten penneth worth guys but from what I remember on the RAF setup, the two springs only overcome mis alignment of the from wheel in relation to rudder attitude upon touchdown and can be adjusted to overcome from wheel flapping (same as the supermarket trolly sindrome when pushed too fast) They play no part in self centreing when a rudder cable fails

Comment

Could we please have some pics posted of the accident gyro, say the rego pic. A "modified" Raf does not mean that much to me. Aussie Paul.

Comment

A Before shot.
          Attached Files

Comment

??????????????????Strange lookn seat tank arrangement.Iv never seen one of them ina RAF before.Just a note; the sheaths that the rudder cables are rooted through apply alot of friction/resistance to the cables, and its easy to imagine at the time of failure, the unfailed peddle be"n floored, and the friction holdn it there.

Comment

Dave I think that was the latest type of seat before RAF went bust.The back folds forward with storage area behind.Probably one of RAF"s only good ideas.I will post an "after" crash photo as soon as Allan lets me.Paul is up and about now and talking rebuild etc etc so alls good there.

Comment

Dave I think that was the latest type of seat before RAF went bust.The back folds forward with storage area behind.Probably one of RAF"s only good ideas.No, not really Murray. It lowered the fuel weight several inches worsening the HTL, and Birdy that "new" seat is far more uncomfortable than the original. I have used them both. RAF also had trouble with some sort of "fire resistant" foam in those new tanks that slowly disintegrated and blocked filters very readilyMurray, that aircraft is a RAF with a stabiliser and thinner rudder cables, not really a modified RAF. I measured the original rudder cables on the Raf in my shed and they are 2.4mm. I think in a RAF kit the rudder cables are pre made at the factory, or at least they used to be.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Just a note; the sheaths that the rudder cables are rooted through apply alot of friction/resistance to the cables, and its easy to imagine at the time of failure, the unfailed peddle be"n floored, and the friction holdn it there.I agree Birdy.Aussie Paul.

Comment

As far as swaging for rudder cables is concerned, I have a swaging tool and am reasonably sure that it is correct for the types of swages that I use on my rudder cables, but as a failsafe I have taken the precaution of putting another swage on the Tail end of the whole shebang.My reason for doing so is because, I dont want to crush the bejesus out of the cable and make it weaker so I thought that another swage , crushed up tight on the loose end would stop dissassembly should the primary swage not be tight enough and allow the loose end to slip through. I reckon that it is hard to check the integrity if a swaged cable by looking at it, so by placing the other swage at a certain distance from the primary joint, I could disern any movement visually on my pre flight, as well as having confidence that if the joint DID slip, then the cable wouldnt move any further than the stop at the end.So far nothing has ever moved, but there is one thing less to think about when on a long cross county.Mark

Comment

I also use a second swage but with a slight bulge in the line between the two , its very easy to see in the preflight if the cable has pulled tight then you know if the first one is slipping.

Comment

Get well soon, Paul.

Comment

Working...
                        X