ETHICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETHICS

Buyer beware! I’m sure you’ve all heard this term. For those more legally minded people out there you’ll already have the knowledge that as a consumer the requirement to ask appropriate questions and undertake appropriate research under the Fair Trade Practices Act is your responsibility when making a purchase. Yes, by no means can the seller lie, but what about omissions?To all those young, and older, budding enthusiasts out there thinking of getting into Gyro’s let me part with some of my experience during the short 18 months I’ve been involved in this sport. Hopefully some of the more senior people may also get something out of my experience. Like most in recreational aviation, the initial thought of flying seemed ever so exiting. My Grandfather was a WW2 Pilot as other family members are RAF pilots so you could well imagine the stories. With no flying experience and limited on financial resources I set about to research possibilities and realistic options of flight. If it was in a book, I read it, if it was on the web, I surfed it and if it had a phone I rang it. After nearly having opted for Microlights a spur of the moment decision had me making contact with ASRA and the Hunter Valley Gyro Club who were a wealth of information. Further research and knowledge soon over shadowed ignorance bestowed and fed by those few narrow minded people out there flying other types of aircraft. If you are one of those people I take my hat off to you! To be on this web site and reading this thread your obviously open minded enough to be conducting your own research for growth of your own informed opinion. So, yes Gyro’s crash, yes Microlights crash, yes ultralights crash, yes helicopters crash, yes planes crash, hell, even cars crash. If you do your homework it’s pretty obvious these all have common denominators with respect to route cause; 1) Operator error2) Failure to maintain/pre inspect; and a very small percentage3) Environmental conditions such as wind shear but you could probably count environmental causes on one hand, there’s probably more people killed by poodles. With the correct training, attitude and constructed Gyroplane, these aircrafts are one of, if not the safest options there is, but then that’s just my opinion. This is not the focus of my experience nor an argument I want to get into, however I do challenge those ‘non believers’ to do some real research and base their opinion on fact and not ignorance.I’m on the tail end of training for my Gyro Certificate having commenced dual instruction in April 2007 with Phil Wright, and a short stint with Ross Bennerman, at the Hunter Valley Gyro Club. Both these guy’s are great instructors who challenged but did not push. I’ve been encouraged and supported in doing things in my own time with clear boundaries. Personally I think our Instructors deserve greater support for what they do. Getting back on track, throughout my training I’ve also had access to the most knowledgeable people out there as far as equipment is concerned. You’ve heard it before! Get yourself a good solid, stable and proven single seater used machine in which to learn in. So the search commenced. I patiently searched and eventually found a state of the art CLT Gyro that had been tested and flown by one of our senior CFI/Technical Advisors, had about 50 flying hours on it, was proven and was as safe as houses, so the owner told me. Double check this? Yes I did, the CFI/Technical Advisor who flight tested and assisted in construction also provided a glowing report. Ok, so what that this machine was nearly twice the price of most others, I’m trusting my life to this equipment so I’m getting nothing but the best insurance, right? After the verbal reports, watching a clip of the Gyro flying and studying photo’s supplied by the owner I was satisfied and the deal was done.

Thanks for the honest post. I respect your choice of withholding the associated names, but i also beleive that you may have an "ethical" responsibility to report this formally to the ASRA operations manager.Better to ruffle a few feathers than allow alledgedly dangerous practices to continue unchanged. If you cant trust a Senior CFI/ Tech advisor then who can you ? Maybe a little re-training or reminder of responsibilities is needed.If your claims are accurate and presented without malice then I think this should be taken further.cheers,Art

Comment

Dave,Good to see you up there doing your taxiing practice. Glad you got the bugs sorted out in the machine as it does look nice... now I know this is the case with the machine I"ll see if I can find any problems with it when I get back the the club next time.I know there wasn"t anything you could do about the machine in terms of checking it yourself - the risks of purchasing remotely!!As a tip I suggest to any one buying a machine to actually wash and polish the machine from head to toe before you buy - if you can. This permits you to have a damn good look at it to find any defects as you go, have a note pad to jot them down - faults or questions to ask.I"ll agree with you very strongly as to the calibre of the gentlemen at HVGC, I"ve been through the same school and couldn"t muster a malicious thought of any of them, they are all great blokes who help to the best of their capabilities, and those capabilities are not small by any means.Cheers,Nic.

Comment

This is a great and safe sport with the correct attitude, training and equipment. Not a truer word has been spoken.But the reason its safe is coz of the machine.Put in a little influence from a bad human, and even the worlds safest isnt any more.Im with Art, this bastered that missled you should be outed for the sake of EVERYBODY, specialy the next poor bastered he missleads. >Hang the frign law, its peoples lives we are talkn bout ere. :-[The law dont seem to care bout peoples lives.You dilligence is wot save your neck, and believe me, your a rear breed. Most newchums get too excited and cant hold them selves back, specialy if the so called " in the knows" tell you its all sweet. How the hell do people like this sleep at nite. Stick with it Dave, its the best fun you can have with ya pants on. Just stay carefull with who you listen to.

Comment

DaveSounds like its been sitting around for some time without being flown. Those pulse fuel pumps need regular maintenance. Now would be the time to get a rebuild

Comment

Gidday David,I would appreciate it if you would contact me without delay please.operations@asra.org.au or 07 5444 1316 any time EXCEPT between 1900 and 1930 BNE time.Thanks,Allan Wardill
            Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Im with Art, this bastered that missled you should be outed for the sake of EVERYBODY, specialy the next poor bastered he missleads. And i spose theres always 2 sides to every yarn, itd be interestn to hear the other side.

Comment

Never a truer word said birdy, and the "other side" ain"t happy.

Comment

Just a note to say I"m daveb who has been flying gyros just on four years now and not the Dave B who started this thread. Guess he has it over me with the capital letters.Funny thing, similar story I guess. I bought my single seat gyro which had a considered OK from a known person based on the reputation of the seller. I got 10 hours out of it before the 582 died in flight due to what was later diagnosed as repeated running over maximum temperatures. Mr Flood took my money for the replacement and armed with a new engine and a few other things I soldiered on until the control system gave up. Fortunately on a ground run when a very experienced pilot was trying to get the shake out of the blades and gave of his time to help. Nearly gave something even more valuable.Interestingly the fault was obvious after breaking but it had passed muster at Nationals. Some things aren’t so clear until they happen. I posted details for all this ages ago.So did I get a lemon? Well I had to raise the seat to get it safer so she wouldn"t try to buck me off, pay for a brand new engine just after purchase, oh and did I mention that if you get low on fuel the pulse pump wouldn"t get fuel all that way. After another failure I put an electric pump in line and she hasn"t missed a beat since.

Comment

"Never a truer word said birdy, and the "other side" ain"t happy."this is exactly what I had in mind when I carefully chose the words

Comment

Hi DaveI thought you fell off the edge of the earth!!!!Its been that long since we last spoke.How is the Cannard going? Very very nice.Hope to get airborne this weekend at Barwon Heads, let me know if your around, if so I may drop in.Regards Sam La Bruna.......

Comment

Working...
                      X