Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes to rules concerning the constructon of Gyroplanes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to rules concerning the constructon of Gyroplanes.

Hello All,The last few months have been a very difficult time for ASRA. With another fatal accident last week there have now been 3 fatal crashes since December. Based on the accident reports and many others from previous years the Board has decided it must act to improve the safety of Gyroplanes.One response the Board is planning is to introduce new rules regarding vertical centre of gravity/thrustline positions and the size,placement and shape of horizontal stabilizers.It is anticipated this will take effect for new build Gyro"s from 1/7/2010Gyro"s already registered will be given a period of grace. The board is currently considering what will be a fair deadline for modifications.We understand that these changes in regulations will cause difficulties and we are working hard to minimize this disruption.We also understand that we will need to get TA"s up to speed to supervise modification and signing off on modified aircraft.TA"s will play a very important role in the whole scheme of things with all TA"s that are not fully conversant with procedures to ascertain COG/thrustline position of a gyro given further training.All members will receive a mail out in a few weeks outlining changes with further mail outs with practical procedures and photographs to help builders achieve the desired outcome.The decision by the Board to mandate changes with construction isn"t taken lightly.But we firmly believe these changes will have a dramatic effect on the safety of Gyroplanes in this country.Murray Barker.President. ASRA.

Thanks Murray, I know this will make at least one better half a little happier towards Gyro flying. Cheers Des Garvin.

Comment

Great ASRA. Very late, BUT as they say, "better late than never". Good stuff.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Good go"n Muz.

Comment

Hi all,I believe that this is a Great thing after having spent a lot of time on the phone and discussing this with my peers I can see the huge positives. What I would like to see is that they get an Aerodynamics Engineer(s) to analyze the forces on gyroplanes and the effects (A Board with no Aircraft Engineering Degrees will not suffice as an investigation into stability.), I believe CLT WILL NOT fix everything if all stability issues are not also addressed. If this is to be done right with True safety and stability in mind we also need to look at some of the other forces that come into play for example: Centre Of Pressure and the affect on gyroplane stability, The H/Stabs sizes compared to pod area and Moment Arms. I would like to see formula for calculating the above also.We ASRA must also recognize and stipulate that this will not prevent accidents happening so ASRA don’t find it’s self-walking into a liability case. Do It Once and Do it right!Regards,Trent Semler

Comment

Working...
          X