cirly 912s delema.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cirly 912s delema.

Buggered if i know wots go"n on with me new 912.Its only got a bit over 800 hours down, ans never missed a beat in those hours, till yesterday.I was on a short lap out to camp, bout 1 hour, and not long before i landed the "low water" light came on. [ iv got an alarm systm on the machine that has a probe in the collecter, and if theres any air init, a light comes on] .It CHT was normal, the day wasnt hot[ bout 25c] and i was just puttn along.Wen i landed i noticed the coolant overflow bottle was full up, but not over flown. Its normaly no more than 1/4 full at operating temp, but it was full up this time.The engine , like normal, cooled quickly and sucked back the coolant to the zact same level its always at, iv never ever had to add water in 800 hours.There was not a single gurgle as if there was air in the systm, nuthn seemed to be different.I took it for anatha quick lap before it got dark and watched the bottle, nuthn outa the ordinary.This mor"n i was up for bout 2 hours, and everythn was as usual.Its run"n like normal, not like its got a cracked head, its not getn hot, theres no coolant missn, theres no air in the systm............Wot the hells go"n on?????????????????Im not too keen on do"n anatha full day if this is likely to happen again leaven me stranded.

hmmm,Sounds like early stages of head gasket failure... Exhaust gases displacing the water into the coolant bottle. Pull your plugs on the motor first thing in the morning before you start it and look for condensate.Try the old spark plug connected to the air compressor on each pot at top dead centre and see where the the leaks happen.Hope this helps,Nic.

Comment

Nik, 912"s have aircooled barreles, [ only watercooled heads]

Comment

Not sure whats happening there Birdy other than to say that there is a problem, how long it will take to do it again.....I have no idea but if you are like me, its sure going to get worse at some stage [usually when very busy ]Might be a simple thermostat you know...I guess they have one ?? Have heard of thermostats doing what you described.BTW blowing a gale..and dust here this arvo, not nice outside!

Comment

"Might be a simple thermostat you know...I guess they have one ??"If it has one, thats where I would look.The womans Holden Noddyvan would just cut out every now and then. Several trips to the mechanic, new petrol pump etc, finally a new thermostat fixed it.Graham

Comment

Seems this hint from Tim Mc. was spoton.Quite common in modern cars Birdy. The crud under the return valve stops the cap sealing so there is no pressure build-up in the cooling system. Pressure considerably raises the boiling temperature of the coolant so without pressure the coolant can boil at a lower temperature (especially with expired coolant). The water as a whole does not boil, just small pockets at critical temperature locations. The bubbles cause excessive expansion and the air escapes through the overflow bottle. The radiator is still big enough to maintain correct temperature and the fluid will return on cool-down as normal.Dun bout 7 hours since and everythns sweet.

Comment

A little it of crud certainly caused a bit of thinking.Good to hear that all"s sweet with the feral. Sometimes, its the smallest things that cause much consternation!

Comment

"Good to hear that all"s sweet with the feral. Sometimes, its the smallest things that cause much consternation!"Fair go Brian, the Birdman has feelings you know...

Comment

Working...
                X