Subaru EJ22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru EJ22

The tried and proven EA81 is legendry. Now the EJ22 is getting to be used,.....is there factual comment out there regarding these engines,(EJ22) both positive and negative comments please.[]RDC

Fact 1; I'v still got one compleat setup to bolt on a machine or sale.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

The 2.2 is a great motor but if its in a RAF its likely to break cranks but in a Rosco setup it could be capable of doing 4000 hours without dying. Mine has been fantastic after having lots of dramas with a factory turbo ,fuel injected EA 81 that tried to kill me a few times. In contrast, the 2.2 has now done 1800 hours of trouble free flying. Apparently, the earlier 2.2's used to have some valve problems [sticking].They are heavier than a EA 81 so you will find the rotax 912 will ring's around the 2.2 for power to weight ratio but $22,000 versus approx $6000 set up and 1500 overhaul versus whatever the 2.2 it do makes my mind up.The greatest disadvantage of the 2.2 versus the 912 is simply the weight, a 912 gyro I can lift the main wheels off the ground whereas the 2.2 I cannot shift !! which means in the 912 you can utilize soft sandy strips and throw the gyro around so much easier. It is interesting that most 912's dont get done up but get replaced by a new engine. You never know how far you can go, till you get there !

Comment

Brian......thanks for your input, 2 questions....you mentioned early engines had a prob,with sticking valves ? What is the year / model engine to get.2nd question.....breaking cranks, please explain3rd question.....you are getting some hours up on your 2.2, are you useing normal unleaded petrol????Sorry...another Q what revs, what fuel consumption.More to come latter........RRDC

Comment

Russell, not sure of the year/model....mine is a 99 or later. Tim will know the answer to that question.Cranks, seems FAR has some peculiar setup on the back end that causes a stress on the crank, once again Tim or Paul can give you a better answer.Always used unleaded...cruise at 3800 /4000 at 15.5 litres. I have a Wolf computer driving the electrics and the fuel injection etc.You never know how far you can go, till you get there !

Comment

Russell, I think it is only those fitted with the RAF re-drive that have broken cranks.Tom Austin replaced his first 2.2 @ 3300 hours with another low mileage engine. Old engine was still running perfectly. He has always used normal unleaded fuel - Consumption in lts/hr, Min - 13, max - 26, average 15 to 17. No problems with valves.Because engines are fully electronic, a good engine is only as reliable as the integrity of the wiring.Tim McClure

Comment

Yes.......I've ordered one, just 1 question......what props are you guys using & pitch etc.....thanks.........RussRDC

Comment

Russ, I'm running 76 inch Warp Drive with about 17 degrees pitch and have around 3800 hours on it.Never tried anything else! Worth inquiring about Ivo props as a few reckon they are better, certainly easier and quicker to adjust pitch with an Ivo.There is an Ivo in Broken Hill thats doing a few hours although its not being driven by a Suby. Another advantage could be that Ivo make three ranges of prop and apparently, the middle one is rated for the HP you are going to put into it.Birdy would be well worth a call.BrianYou never know how far you can go, till you get there !

Comment

Brian....thanksHey, dave Bird, u owt dare. Tell me bowt dem ivos u use, I ear u got a pew........RussRDC

Comment

Anyone out there currently using or have had experience with an EJ25. I have one attached to a two seater I am rebuilding, and am told by the previous owner it operated very well. It has its own flywheel and a Rotax E box at present. Comments would be appreciated.Pete BradleyPete

Comment

Rob Patronney makes a 3-blade wide chord prop ; like his rotor blades are very well made.I have a 72" fitted to my 2-seater & it performs slightly better than my old 76" Warp Drive on climb out.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pbradleyAnyone out there currently using or have had experience with an EJ25. I have one attached to a two seater I am rebuilding, and am told by the previous owner it operated very well. It has its own flywheel and a Rotax E box at present. Comments would be appreciated.Pete BradleyPeteShyte.....a rotax box on 160hp engine...[?].....RussRDC

Comment

My experience has shown that if you use the ej series it is very wise to use a geabox. BUT PLEASE MOUNT IT THE RIGHT WA, if you do not want to mount the gyro like a horse!!!! LOLIt does seem thgough, that the crank metellurgy is different in the ej series compared to the ea series. A lot of Rafs have broken cranks in the past, particularly those with a belt drive. Part of the Hirth arangement it is so easy to rotate the g/box 180 degrees, Prop down for gyros and prop up for the fixed wingers.Aussie Paul.[8]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Sorry Russ, just read that post, but you already know bout me props, and yeh, I got a couple o 3 bl WD 68" props to go.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

Eka,How does one get in contact with Mr Patroney?Tks,Nick.

Comment

Working...
                              X