Seat tank plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat tank plumbing

Ok this is the situation, yep about to hit the drink only so many little things that can p**s you before i fold.Got the machine nearly ready for the first fire up, keep in mind this is a 914, with a return line system, similar to a FI car motor,

Same as i did ya boof ed. Basicaly ,the return line on mine tees back into the out line just after it leaves the tank.Iv used an old pulse pump [ off a 2banger] with the valves taken out as a junction.These are ideal, coz they have 4 nipples.1 to the tank1 to the pump1 to the return line1 to bleed out any air as it circulates. [ this one goes back to top of tank to let any vaperidsed bubbles out]

Comment

Ok it got the better of me, so i go back out to the shed, i removed the little strainer out the bottom of the tank and hey presto all fixed, though i dont like the idea of no strainer on the tank, but clean fuel in only shouldnt be a problem.yeah birdy im using a CAV filter it got the 4 nipples to, 2 in, 2 out, 1 in from tank, 1 out to pump, 1 in from return line, but the fuel still sucks down the sight tube, the filter is only about 6" from the bottom of the tank.Might cut the top off the strainer, and fit it back in, so most of the fuel can still go in the top,

Comment

BonesI had the same problem in a RAF while test flying it about 3 weeks ago. Resulted in loss of power post take-off, followed by engine out landing.I suggest you give Adrian S a call as he has a few different suggestions as he has solved this problem on a number of gyroplanes.Ross B

Comment

I used to have the sight gauge on my RAF between the right hand fuel tank outlet (low pressure) and the EFI return to the tank filler. The tee from the return line was mounted centre down so the fuel would always be running over the centre of the tee.When the engine was not running it would show the fuel level. It worked without any problems for the hundred or so hours it was connected.I fitted a small ball valve at the top just in case it was a problem but never needed it.Hoges

Comment

1 in from tank, 1 out to pump, 1 in from return line, but the fuel still sucks down the sight tube, the filter is only about 6" from the bottom of the tank.Then it should work with only a slight drop in the site line, and only till things stableise.It can take sum time to purge all the air out, and till its all out, itll keep stuffn round like you say.BTW, the first thing i do with a new tank is take the strainer off the outlet.Iv been let down before, wen a mob of hornets crawled up me breather line and droped into the tank.Didnt know till id taken the tank off and flushed it, after they blocked it and made me walk home.Thats why i have sediment traps on my systmes. If anythn is buildn up in the setup, i will see it. [ like water.]What about a restrictor in the return line?? this would stop the pump working so hard all the time.914 pressure regulaters are basicaly a regulated restricter.But it will allways surge till all air is out of the pressuer side of the setup.

Comment

Well i think i got the problem sorted now.Fired up the donk, turned over about 5 times then a bit of choke, nice idle at 1500 So just to stuff up what looked to be a good day, i got no oil pressure, but luckily its only the sender, yep took the line off to the turbo,

Comment

Well have you ever heard the expression, READ THE F**CKING MANUAL.Not sure but after study the heavy maintanaince manual for about 3 hours, i think i might have a couple of the little air pressure hoses in the wrong places

Comment

Mate, wot i wouldnt give to be in the Towers now with a vid cam.

Comment

Mate, wot i wouldnt give to be in the Towers now with a vid cam. Not funny add to that a forced landing the other day, i not having a good gyro time this week

Comment

914 going friggin cheap

Comment

And just to add to your woes......Have you read the bit of Rotax info about purging the air out of the oil system....before you fire it up....Never have i ever had to do this and never had a problem getting the oil pressure, dont know why they put that bulletin out???

Comment

bonesy , i might be able to help with your fuel line sucking air at low fuel level. i had the same problem and i"m talking about my goodwin 70lt seat tank with one outlet to 2 pumps to 2 x s/u carby"s. i disconected the sight tube " tee" fitting at the tank suction and blanked it off . now where the bottom threaded insert is molded into the tank i drilled through there and machined a brass hose tail [ 1/4 hose tail x 1/4 nc or whitworth thread] not your normal b.s.p. thread.put some loctite on it and screwed it in. joined the sight tube onto the hose tail.

Comment

914 going friggin cheap

Comment

"all it turned out to be was a hole in one of the LITTLE BLACK BALANCE TUBES, enough said, why is it most of the time the simpliest most in your face things that are the hardest to see?"Mate of mine used to service an ex wifes delivery van. He put new points in, but wrong brand, and had to lengthen the wire. Told the ex he would put the proper jobbie in next service. Two weeks later the van stopped the other side of town and ex got RACV to have a look. RACV feller said mighty poor putting wrong points in, must be the problem, and left. Ex rang mate and gave him a mouthfull. Yeah, it was one of her strong points. Mate was not happy, and drove 2 hours to van, where he spent 3 hours trying to get it going. Eventually found such a hole carefully hidden. The ex does rub a few people up the wrong way.Hows Peg these days?

Comment

Working...
                              X