Pulse Jet Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse Jet Engine

Hi all, just surfing the net,Just thought this might interest someone for powering a giro? I have gained my RAA Fixed wing Licence in a Technam Echo Super, But allas yet to get into Giro's,Still Dreaming as yet.Here is the Link.http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/masterindex.shtml[8D]

I remember reading about them a year or 2 ago.Still a few problems though-gas cylinders are heavyvery thirsty on gasBLOODY LOUD (we are talking seriously deafening unless someone has since worked out how to shut them up)generally physically too long for the power outputEither way, if they get refined a little, they might become usefull.Flying - The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams-The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Comment

[] Pulse Jet.Normaly consists of an intake, fitted with some sort of shutter system to seal the intake during ignition, a combustion chamber, venturi, and outlet exhaust.They were used very succesfully by the Germans during WW2 and were fitted to the U2 flying bomb or ( Pig ).They are very loud and unlike a convensional jet, its thrust consists of a pulsating output, thus the name pulse jet.Their fuel consumption is also very high, and thrust can very, depending on the accuracy of its fuel delivery system.The one advantage is it is very cheap to make, very simple, and will work from a standing start.The only other jet which is simpler in design is the Ram / Scram jet, but speeds of mach 2 are required before is starts to function. Regards Sam.

Comment

Sam,There is the Gluhareff Jet, which works similarly to the pulse jet but does not require valves to work, it becomes efficient at high speeds but suffers the same problems getting to speed. They are interesting in their construction and they work on sonic compression rather than valves and air flow, because the air enters the jet at 90 degrees to the path of travel. There are 20, 40, 80 and 130 lb thrust versions, and they run on LPG best, other fuels would be possible, like petrol, avtur and kero. IF you are interested they are worth a look, you'll have to google though as I don't have the link.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

G,day Bob.The Tecnam Super Ecko is a very nice little plane to fly,isn't it.The view out the side isn't much good but still a very niceaircraft.I have been thinking about ( besides a Gyro ) a Tecnam Sierraor perhaps a Sting Retractible for Sundy best.The sting thingy gets along at around 140 knots and costs less thana hundred K. I particularly like doing my own maintenance, also.GA is just getting to expensive these days to fly for fun.Are you planning on buying a fixed wing or a gyro ?Cheers.Safe flying.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Hi OLDBOD,I started flying 1984 GA but its sooo expensive,and i wasnt born with the Silver spoon so to speak, So i tried the RAA and just needed 5hrs to convert over the Technam was suprisingly faster than a C172 but didnt have a AH fitted and you have to retract the flaps asap and it didnt have toe brakes but a nice machine all round for $110 wet per hour or u can buy for about $130,000 but i am still interested in gyros as they are less expensive and more versitile than the fixed wing,still dreaming tho.bob.[8D]

Comment

I recon that flying a Buzz bomb would be fun.....till the noise stops

Comment

G,day.Bob, someone might have an old Gyro going cheap that could be rebuilt over a period of time ?Mark,when I was a kid we used to fly control line model aircraft.One of me mates had one with a ram jet engine. It went like theclappers and needed longer lines or you would get dizzy goin round.It sounded fabulous, but I,m not sure I'd like to sit on board one !Cheers.Safe flying.Image Insert: 2.64

Comment

PS.Thinkin about it.It was probably a pulse rather than a ram jet as it soundedlike the doodle bugs that you see on TV. That was more tha 50year ago but I will never forget the sound of the thing.If there are model aircraft clubs in your vicinity, one mighthave a member with one of these jet engines.Worth goin along just to hear it.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Working...
                  X