Rotax 914 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotax 914 Turbo

Evening All, Can any person shed some light, on the cracking of the 914"s crankcase. Been told about 400 hrs onwards. Thanks Darrell.

Evening All, Can any person shed some light, on the cracking of the 914"s crankcase. Been told about 400 hrs onwards. Thanks Darrell.What you mean Darrell? i had one that at 400hrs had a very big smash, i fixed it up and i flew it for another 600 before selling it, and it still going, no leaks or cracks.

Comment

I know of quite a few 914 engines that have done well over 400 hours without a problem, be good to hear though if anyone has experienced any issues!

Comment

Heh! Rick, talking to Allan Wardill last night , there are 2 x 914 engines at Caboolture that have cracked the casings, that is my reason for asking.

Comment

Can"t possibly imagin wot you"d have to do to crack a 4banger rotax case.Wot the hell are people do,n?

Comment

Hope to catch up with Alan at Wondai and hopefully find out more about the cause of such a problem. A rotax engine with such a serious fault makes me feel a little uneasy considering I am about to fly from Sydney to Wondai !!!!!!She"ll be right.

Comment

Ok,We hear that some 914"s crack there crank cases? What I want know is how do you fix the problem? Years ago a dozer I was driving did develop a crack in the block. A mechanic came out and drilled holes in the crack of the block and screwed in studs to seal the crack up.Could that be used here???? Be interested in the findings of how to fix this.

Comment

What you mean Darrell? i had one that at 400hrs had a very big smash, i fixed it up and i flew it for another 600 before selling it, and it still going, no leaks or cracks.Ok just to clearify something that i think people are reading more into something that i said.When i said this, i did not mean i fixed a crack in the crank case, sorry people, but there was not, and still is not a crack in the motor crank case, even after having a major crash, resulting in needing everything from manifolds, turbo, and the likes so yes, it was a very badly treated motor.So i have no idea why the cases would be cracking.

Comment

Where exactly are they cracking on the case??

Comment

Sorry Bones, I was reading something in your reply that wasn"t correct. As to where abouts

Comment

Sorry Bones, I was reading something in your reply that wasn"t correct. As to where abouts

Comment

bones , you did say " no leaks or cracks" and I took that as "before and after the crash". you probably just weren"t talking kiwi .

Comment

Guys,There is some(not many I believe) history of early Rotax crankcases cracking in the 914 and I believe 912ULS/S engines. I believe the factory released new crankcase design which was incorporated into the later engines. I would recommend that you contact Bert Flood for specific info on engine numbers etc. As far as I am aware there is no approved repair just a requirement to replace the crankcases and they are a very pricey item! Personaly I have never seen a cracked one other than from a fatal accident.See you at Wondia.Just my 10c worth,AdrianS

Comment

Thanks Adrian, That"s better than 10 cents.

Comment

I think the "crack" being refered to is a small weep of oil out of the top of the case.There is a small machined area along the two halves on top that will weep oil if there is any movement in the case halves.I helped Rotax mechanic Richard Eacott remove a 914 from an MTO3 at Caboolture with that problem at around 300 hours, the engine has around 700 now with no further problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X