Basic Bensen style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Bensen style

On behalf of another person this machine is for sale.The VW motor and prop have been removed and gone into a fixed wing. The rest of the machine is up for sale for $500.There is a purpose built trailer registered and galvanized for another $500.More information can be had by ringing the seller.Call Wayne on 07 47774768

That"s the sale of the century. If only my shed was ready.

Comment

What brand are the rotors and rotor head Graeme? Where is it at to take a look?

Comment

Curious, am I right in thinking the mast is of 2.5 x 2 but that it is sideways to the direction of travel - ie, the 2" dimension is in the axis of the gyro instead of the usual 2.5" being in the axis of the gyro.

Comment

Curious, am I right in thinking the mast is of 2.5 x 2 but that it is sideways to the direction of travel - ie, the 2" dimension is in the axis of the gyro instead of the usual 2.5" being in the axis of the gyro.I think your eyes need adjusting nick, the keel is right way orientated, so the cheek plates mean the mast must be too ..... looks right to me

Comment

The rotor looks like original Bensen ,i.e wooden. You can tell by the nose weights.Not sure about the rotor head but it has been modified to have a larger block on the hub-bar.

Comment

.The VW motor and prop have been removed and gone into a fixed wing. The rest of the machine is up for sale for $500.Unusual to see a fixed wing pusher around nowadays, (apart from Rutan canards, and none of them had a hackenscmidt engine that I am aware of.The "Value" would depend mostly on the gauges and the rotor head manufacturer.

Comment

ASRA should buy this for display at air shows. From Benson style to the factory Euro"s.

Comment

Well, I don"t think ASRA would buy it "cos it"s just a generic Bensen clone. There"s undoubtedly many of these tucked away in the dark dusty corners of sheds all over Australia.But, if someone does want to breath new life into it, then the most suitable replacement engine would be a 2 litre VW with a direct drive 3 or 5 bladed hub using Bolly scimitar blades. The scimitar blades might possibly reduce the annoying prop howl so common with direct drive setups. There is an Australian manufacturer of 1800, 2000, and 2200cc VWs for aircraft, but they use belt drives orientated up which significantly worsens the prop-CofG situation making it too HTL. The original Bensens were only about 3 inches HTL because they were direct drive.Otherwise it"d need a 60% rebuild (higher mast and new engine mounts to fit a 582 swinging a 64 to 68 inch prop).One thing - that black pointy-cone instrument pod looks absolutely hideous. The first thing I"d do would be to give it a blunter rounded shape.Mark R

Comment

Mark, a true Bensen was very close to CLT as he lifted the rear of the engine approx. 3 degrees to have the prop thrust line pass through the vertical C of G. I played around with my RAFs engine tilt and could notice a difference when testing. Dr Stewart Houston, from the UK, told me it would take 18 degrees of engine nose down to make a stock RAF close to CLT!!!!!!!!!! : :A RAF with my dropped keel mods etc and several degrees engine nose down tilt was within the + 50mm thrust line to vertical C of G.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Working...
                    X