Shopping For A Used Gyro- Advise required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping For A Used Gyro- Advise required

Could anyone please suggest what kind of things to look for and what kinds of questions to ask when shopping for a used gyro?Thankyou-Gary

Hi Gary

Comment

Yeah,Get someone who knows how to fly one and who has no interest in the gyro, you or the vendor to assess it, preferably an instructor with a T/A ticket who is in touch with your skills. Don"t buy one until you have some hours of dual up, and definitely, do f*g not try to fly it without a clearance from your instructor, [best southern drawl..] otherwise, you dead boy. [no BS on this one]Don"t buy a flashy one to start with, you might roll it up in a ball, some of us do, me included, though mine was sort of more of a flop over, ... other blokes who DONT LISTEN end up in hospital thinking that maybe they SHOULD HAVE LISTENED, their machines completely trashed, and them lucky to be alive - I know of two such blokes.I know a lot of blokes will have a go at me for not being feely touchy, but the reality of it is that if you do not do as you are told and do not stick to the training regimen your choice of gyros will be irrelevant as the machine will be wasted, so might you.A lightweight machine with a rotax 582 or one with a [redrive and a subi EA 81] is not a bad choice. Unless the machine is very light a 503 rotax is good to marginal, but not as bad to marginal as an EA81 with a direct drive prop.Don"t take the word of a bloke selling you the machine as being gospel, get your instructor to fly the machine before you even think of buying it, unless of course you are experienced, but you wouldn"t be asking the Q if you knew. Feel free to post a pic of your prospect here so we can pick it to pieces for you.,..Cheers,Nick.

Comment

Yeah,Get someone who knows how to fly one and who has no interest in the gyro, you or the vendor to assess it, preferably an instructor with a T/A ticket who is in touch with your skills.Nic it now a requirement to have a T/A inspect any gyro changing ownership now, so this is a good point IMHOFeel free to post a pic of your prospect here so we can pick it to pieces for you.,..Cheers,NickOrrrrr yeah i can see this being a winner, concidering my above post i dont see this necesarry, alot of people like me wouldnt want this to happen, if i didnt put the picy up first i woud be pretty p*ssed if this happened behind my back, and no i got nothing to hide, I"ll gladly give you Dean"s number, you can ring him about the last machine i sold, we still talk about how it was/is a good machine for the money.Bottom line is if it looks like sh*t it probably is, then walk away from it straight away.

Comment

Hi Gary,I feel your pain just having gone through this myself.

Comment

Gary,Listen to these blokes. They have all done it. Best advice is "LEARN FIRST, BUY SECOND". And try to buy something that performs like the one you learnt in. That way, not too many surprises on the first solo.Cheers

Comment

Nic it now a requirement to have a T/A inspect any gyro changing ownership now, so this is a good point IMHOThis is a new one on me Bones? All Gyros have to be inspected and signed off by a T/A before rego, but not before change of ownership.It is definately a good idea though to have a gyro checked over by a very experienced person or a T/A before purchase.

Comment

Good to see you back Tim You"ve been quiet for a while...Keith

Comment

thank you all for the good advice,particularly keith that kind of advice is what i"m after.I shall definitely be taking instuctions.shall be seeking advice in the future hoping you"ll be able to helpthanksgary

Comment

Nic it now a requirement to have a T/A inspect any gyro changing ownership now, so this is a good point IMHOThis is a new one on me Bones? All Gyros have to be inspected and signed off by a T/A before rego, but not before change of ownership.It is definately a good idea though to have a gyro checked over by a very experienced person or a T/A before purchase. Tim i hope i got that right then,

Comment

Working...
                    X