Sloppy Cotton Reels/Top Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy Cotton Reels/Top Hats

Mitch & Others.Well the story goes something like this.

Disco, just put in DU bushes and have some stainless or good quality steel cotton reels made. The standard bushes when I had my AC trainer were DU bushes.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Paul is right Disco. The aluminium "cotton reels" and brass bushes are a left over from the earlier days. They required constant attention, disassembly, cleaning and re-greasing at extremely short intervals (sometimes before every flight). This was no problem back then when there was only social pilots who were lucky to do 1 hours flying on a whole weekend outing.The change to "DU" brand self lubricating bushes and stainless mushrooms extended the useful period to beyond the flight life span of most social pilots. A more initially expensive alternative is the fitment of 3203 Sealed ball bearings. These are racking up a good history of trouble free operation, with no "flat spotting" over thousands of hours of use, and no perceivable damage even after a crash. A couple of other advantages are that the gyro is lighter in roll and that the sealed bearing is impervious to moisture so it can suffer rain with no ill effect. The main disadvantage is that they require the fitment of new "towers" to take the bearings.

Comment

Paul & TimThanks for the reply.

Comment

Disco, I changed over to bearings some time ago and am getting a great run out of them and if you are doing a few hours,, in my opinion, its worth going that way.Rosco can do the machine work.

Comment

Disco, I changed over to bearings some time ago and am getting a great run out of them and if you are doing a few hours,, in my opinion, its worth going that way.Rosco can do the machine work.Whose head with the bearing brian??Aussie Paul.

Comment

Disco, I changed over to bearings some time ago and am getting a great run out of them and if you are doing a few hours,, in my opinion, its worth going that way.Rosco can do the machine work.Whose head with the bearing brian??Aussie Paul. A Rosco head Paul. Did have new towers built though I was finding that the DU bushes were seemingly wearing out pretty quickly although they are easy to replace, I like the bearings much better and I have less maintance to do now.!

Comment

...and so the question remains unanswered.

Comment

Any bearing shop will have or will be able to get DU bushes. The are a bush with a slit in them and when press fitted into the towers they have the correct ID. They are teflon lined. Googling DU bushes might show something.This is a link to DU bushes which seem to be known as "Glacier" bushes as well.http://www.norseal.com.au/gb.htmAussie Paul.

Comment

Comment

CSB-10 Structure Features Steel bronze powder with PTFE/Pb dry bearings1. PTFE/Pb mixture 0.01~0.03mm, provides an excellent initial transfer film, which effectively coats the mating surface of the bearing assembly, forming an oxide type solid lubricant film.2. Sintered bronze powder 0.20-0.35mm, provides Max. thermal conductivity away from the bearing surface, also serves as a reservoir for the PTFE-lead mixture. 3. Low-carbon steel, gives exceptionally high load carrying capacity, excellent heat dissipation.4. Copper/Tin plating 0.002mm, provides good corrosion resistance. Suitable for dry running, low coefficient of friction, lower wear, good sliding characteristics, forming a transfer film can protect the mating metal surface, suitable for rotary and oscillating movement. High chemical resistance, low absorption of water and swelling. Also performs well with lubrication.Typical ApplicationCan meet the demanding criteria for long life and trouble-free performance with or without lubrication.Automotive: tractors, combines, crop sprayers, earth-movers, graders and other construction, auto machines, specific uses in power steering cylinders, steering gear thrust washers, disc brakes, calipers and pistons, shock absorbers, governor linkage, windshield wiper motor, tilt gear assemblies...Business machines: photocopy machines, typewriters, mail sorters, postage meter systems, computer terminal printers and peripheral equipment, automatic printing devices, mail processing machinery...Hydraulics and valves: pumps including gear, rotary, water, axial piston, and other types, ball, butterfly, poppet steam, and other valves and valve trunnions...Home appliances: tape recorders, refrigerators, air conditioners, cleaners, polishers, sewing machines, ovens, dishwashers, clothes washing machines...And materials handling, marine engine, packaging, textile equipment, tools... Max. Load

Comment

Working...
                      X