Closed Cabin Gyros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Cabin Gyros

Hi Gyro Enthusiasts,I recently saw this closed cabin craft on a US website. http://www.sportcopter.com/supersport.php . Looks like the manufacturer will launch it soon as a kit.Q. Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of closed cabin craft here in Queensland or elsewhere in Australia?Q. What are the relative merits of these things versus conventional open seaters?Q. Are they relatively safer or more dangerous than conventional gyrocopters?Hodge

Good looking Gyro isn"t it apparently they had it at Oshkosh,I suspect that you could think it is safer but enclosed craft always appear to be, but that is not always true.I think it is no safer or more dangerous compared to an open or semi open craft that has reasonable design behind it. I think the design and construction is really the driving force as to how safe or dangerous it is. Particularly whether "what if" has been applied to it.Well those are my thoughts, but I must say it is a nice looking machine

Comment

It all depends on wot your intendn to do with your gyro Hodge, putt around the country, weEkend worrier, serious acrobat, or just mustern.Horses for corses mate.There are +s and -s for cabs and open machines.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. I"d need to learn to fly before I looked into any sort of craft.To answer your question, I"m most intersted in learning to fly for recreational sightseeing with my wife - no fancy stunts, mustering or other work purposes.You mention some + and - to open and closed cabins. What would some of these be?

Comment

Still need a bit more info, Rowan. Do you intend going places or just fly around the patch for the sheer enjoyment. Do you ride a motor bike? i.e. Do you like the wind in your hair and bugs in your teeth. Or is a 2 door Monaro about as sporting as you want to get. Are you an old bloke, or a young bloke. If you are an old bloke like me, your joints are starting to creak a bit, and sitting in a cold wind blast for an hour or two can lose its novelty. And where do you live? If its up north, it might be quite warm and pleasant to fly in the open all the time. If you live where I live (I"m looking straight into Bass Straight from about

Comment

They found that when they got over the sort of country that deer live in, there are far more tigers than deer. Sounds like a gyro would be best suited then Fred.Im buggered if id fly over these ranges ere in anythn but a gyro.Gyros 2 strongest abilities, spot landing with no noise and handlen rough air.

Comment

They found that when they got over the sort of country that deer live in, there are far more tigers than deer. Sounds like a gyro would be best suited then Fred.Im buggered if id fly over these ranges ere in anythn but a gyro.Gyros 2 strongest abilities, spot landing with no noise and handlen rough air.Agreed, David. There is a minor complcation locally (here). The hills go from 0 to 6000 ft in a very short time, and the trees are between 2 - 300 ft. When the rotors start wacking the tree canopy, can still be 250 ft to the ground. The first branch is often 200 ft from the ground, so even if you flop into the top of a tree, yer still going to break your neck getting down, Have tried to attach a picture. Took it coming home from work one arvo, when I was takong a short-cut across the plateau. This is on the "flat". The big trees start over the side on the "steep". A bulldozer can"t go up or down the steep bits. They have to side-cut.CheersFred

Comment

Well, a gyro will still be your best chance of hitn anythn that resembles a spot of light timber.Then you can kiss your ass, coz youll have plenty of time comen down from the top of a 200" tree.

Comment

Agreed, David. I can"t think of a place that I"d rather be attempting an emergency landing in a FW instead of a gyro. Bad enough falling 200 ft to the ground without adding insult to injury by running into the tree at 60 knots as well.

Comment

My best effort to date was a few years back, wen i had an old ea81.was just puttn along bout 20 odd feet above bout 40 odd foot trees that were pretty thickly huddled.Instant noise stop, no surge or splutter, just phft.The situation wasnt good, no alt to play with and a solid wall if trees all round, cept for a spot just big enuff for the rotors to fit in. Trouble was, id already passed it. It was bout 20 yards behind me on the left side.But thats where i finished up, with only a slightly stressed main strut.

Comment

Working...
                    X