Report Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report Missing

I am settling in to being at home again after 9 weeks in USA, and I have discovered that my last President"s report was not printed in the last magazine. I have to wonder why it was not included? I know the Caretaker President wanted some modifications done to it, which I did.

Would / could mention of a fireproof suit have jogged the likes of Paul Bruty into wearing a fireproof suit? I dout it. I know ill never use one.Things need to be kept in perspective.I certainly wouldnt use one here in summer, id be cooked befor i left the ground.I carry a sat fone for emergencies here, wether im flyn or driven, and gess wut, yesterday the battery died in me trusty tojo and i had to walk 15km home............ coz for the first time in ages id left the fone in the f%$#@n gyro that mor"n. >Safty devices are only effective if they dont rely on human activation, coz as murfy would have it, you"ll only need it the day you dont carry it/ turn it on. :-[Its a pain in the ass haven to suit up in winter, but thats different, its a constant comfort thing.A fire proof freezer suit mite be an option tho.I think fuel tanks on the outside of gyro cabs and electrical isolaters would be a better path to go down. More likely to be adheard to and much more conveanient/effective.

Comment

My 1st flying suit was flame resistant but now i fly in a race suit complete with flame proof undies , socks, and balaclava. I may sound paranoid, but after the recent aviation accidents I think it is a sensible idea. My cousin suffered horrific burns in a truck accident many years ago and took a long time to recover to an allmost normal state. Burns are terrible and we tend to melt. I hope Pauls recovery is more speedy than hers, but I think we truly never recover. She still has the terrible scars, but is one tough human being. The race suit is very comfortable and not hot at all. I think it provides good insulation, and is a wise investment. It is as valuable as the helmet you wear on your head. Remember that a $2 helmet is for a $2 head, and the same rule should apply to the clothes we wear. Ken

Comment

I have wondered about these options for a while like 2 years, ever since the accident north of Geraldton in WA. Keep your views comming so we can all decied what is best for me. Des

Comment

A racing suit, what a bloody great idea,I"ve been flying gyro"s for 13 years, riding motor bikes all my life, hooned around in off road buggies and crashing either on the road or falling outa the sky has never overly concerned me.But, burning is the only thing that scares the living crap outa me.I used to race sprint karts and used to wear a fire retardent race suit, they are light, comfortable and offer insulation from the heat and cold.I"ll be definately looking into buying a new suit for my flying.Thanks Ken.Bazza

Comment

summertime flying is a problem for wearing fire proof or fire retardant clothing as usually, this type of clothing is warm to wear and dehydration becomes a factor. Winter flying is altogether different and I for one, knows of the benefits of wearing thermal long johns

Comment

they are light, comfortable and offer insulation from the heat and cold.Mate, if you can find one that wont cook me wen its hot [ 45c + ] and will keep me from freezn [ -10c] Ill by it off ya.

Comment

Ken,What"s the race suit called, and where do you get them? It"s wasn"t clear to me from your post if it is flame resistant or just the underwear/balaclava.

Comment

I often thought that drop tanks should be used on flying things; that way when the brown stuff hits the rotors, you could at least jettison the fuel source altogether and totally eliminate the chance of fire/explosion.

Comment

I often thought that drop tanks should be used on flying things; that way when the brown stuff hits the rotors, you could at least jettison the fuel source altogether and totally eliminate the chance of fire/explosion.

Comment

All fair commnts Brian...but the topic was about fires and fireproofing, not about airmanship and looking for a safe place to land, or waiting for your rotors to stop (anyway the trees might stop them pretty quick, re Denman crash).

Comment

You mightn"t be quite right there, Keith. The forum thread is actually about a missing report. I think it got hi-jacked by a part of the "missing report".

Comment

You mightn"t be quite right there, Keith. The forum thread is actually about a missing report. I think it got hi-jacked by a part of the "missing report".

Comment

Quite correct Fred, we got a sniff of petrol and away we went.Actually, to be fair, we should have a separate thread for this fire proofing etc as its that important and I"m pretty sure everyone would agree with that !!Good idea Brian. Perhaps Webbie might transplant it. If any-one wants to track down the subject of flame proof suits later on, its unlikely they will look under "missing Reports".

Comment

Working...
                            X