headsets and intercoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headsets and intercoms

OK, so I`m finally getting around to setting up for radio. I`m thinking uhf in one ear and vhf in the other. Does anyone know where I can get those earplugs that can be wired up as headsets?? And then what to do about a

Thats a novel approach to the problem of having two radios .I havent heard of anyone using that type of set up before.What sort of gyro are you flying, open frame, cockpit??

Comment

open frame 582, I`ve got 2 ears so why not??

Comment

Microair make a uhf/vhf combo, that has a selection switch, in order to chioce which radio you transmit on, how ever with both radios turned on, you can hear on both at once, very small and compact.

Comment

Here is some info I saved on my computer.A year or so ago, at the Broken Hill field days I had a pair of silicon earlugs made, silicon is injected into the ear and you finish up with great hearing protection for $55 that doesnt hurt the ears at all, even after 10 hours with them in !!One thing wrong with them is that they are so efficient at keeping noise out that I had to have the UHF radio turned up to flat chat to hear anyone talk so its been a bit of a struggle in the hearing department.[i] At the time I got the earlpugs, it was mentioned they had some sort of stuff to hook up to the earplugs to make hearing better but I wanted to make sure the earlpugs were going to do the job before I spent any more money!Anyway, about a month ago I sent my earlugs down to the maker and had wires hooked up to the earplugs, cost $ 145 or so, they plug directly into the back of the UHF external speaker plug and presto !!! with volume just cracked, I can hear perfectly

Comment

thanks Michael. I`m in Sydney, if anyone knows of someone closer than a 08 phone prefix.

Comment

OK, so I`m finally getting around to setting up for radio. I`m thinking uhf in one ear and vhf in the other. Does anyone know where I can get those earplugs that can be wired up as headsets?? And then what to do about a

Comment

Most blokes in rural and remote farming areas use UHF because most farming ground vehicles and homes have this type installed making air-ground-air communication cheap, sustainable and average user friendly when patrolling fencelines, bores, mustering etc.VHF airband operations require licensing for users and significantly more costly hardware.However, I do think we are heading down the path of mandatory VHF carriage in the future with CASA airspace changes for all forms of sport aviation.

Comment

Almar, I would still ring that earmould bloke, he may know of other agents or ask when he might be in a town near you as he does NSW

Comment

Thanks guys.I need uhf for on-farm use for mustering, etc, and to chat to the neighbours as they drive along!!I called Earmold and got their Sydney contact, so that`s all looking good (and then there`s the price). Next I just need to work out what to do with a mike.....

Comment

Here"s an interesting link showing how in-flight communication can be improved with noise cancelling mics.http://www.oregonaero.com/p5657_2001.html

Comment

I"ve just installed my UHF/VHF setup and the reasons are.... need vhf for flying safety and use ctaf(R).

Comment

Working...
                        X