No announcement yet.

GPS's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1296AU$ online from aircraft Spruce with the pacific aviation database in a 296So that"s $1,425.52 AU today at 96 cents to our dollar .... No Rotor thats $1296! at 96 cents to our dollar if that"s correct.Anyway, I"m all for supporting people who support locals etc.

Comment

Disco, I stand corrected 1,243.46 AU plus frieght ..

Comment

I like supporting the locals but my Av Map cost me $2,300 and the same unit in the USA at that time was $1,300, even with the exchange rate at that time, I would have saved approx $600 by going overseas !!

Comment

Just for the record.I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 96C about 6 months ago. It cost me $630.00 with full Jeppesen data base (including free update), aircraft yoke mount, and Trip & waypoint manager. From memory it has all the same functions as the 296, just smaller.I also bought the Garmin City Navigator software which I shared with a mate to halve the cost.I now use my GPS in the car, and in the air.In my opinion the Garmin 96C is a cheap fully optioned quality gps for the not so wealthy.Its biggest issue is its small screen, but if mounted close to you, it is very easy to read.See attached picture.Regards SamL....

Comment

I agree with you Sam, the Garmin 95c is excellent value .

Comment

sam where do you mount your camera? or is it hand held ?

Comment

Hi TonyI use a hand held digital camera. Just strap it around my neck and shoot when ready. (a well trimmed machine also helps)

Comment

I"m too scared to take a hand off the stick.

Comment

Hi DiscoA couple of secrets, if you place the electric pre-rotator starter motor at the back of your head it will reduce the amount of trim spring required. My setup in full backstick the spring has no tension at all, so in trim, the spring tension is very small. This type of starter being placed on the rear centre will also help minimize any rotorshake you may have.I also use a secondary trim spring to trim roll. This makes adjustments very easy and accurate. It also adds another spring into your control system. With 2 seperate springs fitted at 90 degrees apart to each other, they may also help dampen out any minnor rotor shake. Regards Sam....

Comment

If more attention was given to ........balance / tracking of blades, and attention to the "real" accuracy of rotorheads, then most , if not all "shake" would be zero.As to "trampoline" springs hanging off some heads..........how about checking "offset" and redo your hangtest as well.If you need these great "tensions" to make your machine user friendly...........find and fix the cause, don"t mask it with springs etc etc.A "small" amount of tension, to trim her out.........no probs. [ however......tandems, are a different story ]just my view................[ thought we was talking about GPS"s here........ ??? ]
                      If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Update..............gave up on that "aero shop" mob.............now 3 weeks waiting.Rang "Mendellssons", had the new GPS in me hands 3 days later...........and cheaper ;DTop service............as usual
                        If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

sam, thats a nice looking head, different actually, you have a plate that mounts the pre rotor and control rods as one plate. so is the rotor head that much higher and bolts thru the plate. it seems to be a safer looking design with less " joined" pieces and or welds. so does your side spring trim your machine horizontal? what ever your set up your pics are always first rate. ah yes gps! sorry russ.

Comment

It makes mounting your centre mount electric starter really easy, and yes the centre spindel bolt goes straight through to the torque tube. I also have 4 other bolts that clamp the plate to the torque tube.In my opinion this makes for a very strong design.Back to trimming, the size and weights of your blades will also make the cruise trim spring requirement change. When I fitted my 25ft Patroney"s from 23 ft J.A"s I had to reduce the amount of trim on my machine. This is due to lighter rotorloading, and blowback.Regards SamL...

Comment

defintely strong but simple. thanks for the extra photo"s.

Comment

Working...
                              X