How short is your strip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How short is your strip?

Hi Guys,Wondering about some of the shorter strips out there, mainly the ones that are used with no prerotator...

400m between fences, 350m useable, and with an armstrong prerotator.Or are you asking how short of a time it takes me to strip?Graeme.

Comment

If the question refers to the minimum length of strip "required", then that is directional proportional to the experience of ther operator.

Comment

Could not agree with you more Tim. My trainer has no prerotator and I backtrack up and down in tight spots in no wind untill the blades are motoring and then gun it! Just like the good old days. my 28ft. H.S. blades come up in a slight wind after 10 swings. I have terminated my 89622184 ph. no. if anyone wishes to contact me it is 89623277 or 0418856143 or tate@switch.com.au max tate

Comment

Could not agree with you more Tim. My trainer has no prerotator and I backtrack up and down in tight spots in no wind untill the blades are motoring and then gun it! Just like the good old days. my 28ft. H.S. blades come up in a slight wind after 10 swings. I have terminated my 89622184 ph. no. if anyone wishes to contact me it is 89623277 or 0418856143 or tate@switch.com.au max tateMax has raised something I believe isnt being taught and that it is okay to go up and down the strip getting the rotors up BEFORE taking off, specially on short strips although, on a hot day with no wind, a strip that is of good length can suddenly become very short. You do not have to attempt a takeoff if the end of the strip is coming up. Lots of strips have a fence at the end of them which can ecome obstacles very quickly.BTW, AK"s will come up easier than Patroneys, even my AK"s with 2 degrees pitch are a delight to get up, even on a day like yesterday with 30 odd knot winds.

Comment

Anyone use less than 200m without prerotator?

Comment

The short strip is great.If anyone"s interested, the strip was good with me doing 4.4 hours off it over the weekend.

Comment

I"ve approached a guy close to home..."Razzor" Phillips. Has a property just up the road with a a strip. 500mtrs. Then there is the bloke with the paddock at the back of me, corner to corner running (NW) perfect. 250mtrs. ;DThen we get into all the other rule stuff again, like the over the water issue, ie: how close to a main road etc and a quagmire of what"s legal and whats not. It"s OK for the idiot down the road with a GA floatplane to be anywhere he wants, least he thinks he can be. > Fact is it costs me more now to drive to the airfield and back than it does to go flying

Comment

Mitch ol mate, sounds like a driller with a drilling rig, buy small and keep adding till its how you want it. Yeh next thing you will have to get is your own strip in your own plot of dirt. Thats the costly one. May be buy the bloke behind ya out thats the easy answer. Cheers Des Garvin

Comment

I know the feeling mitch.

Comment

Cheers Disco, I"m downloading the vid now to check it out. I always enjoy the footage you post.Hey Des, how is ya Mate?

Comment

Disco,I"ve always said, you dont ask you dont get! Suzukis dont fly..cool strip. 8) Ya lucky fella. Looks like a fun place to fly.Razzor called me back and discussed using his property, he has no probs with that but having passed most of it over to his son needed to check with him first. Not heard back to date but got a better deal.Des ole Mate,Neighbour Kev drove up the driveway this arvo as I was laying up some stonework.Had a quick chat and hey presto, she"s all yours he says. Checked with the other neighbour...." was wondering why you hadn"t asked sooner". Blow me down! ;D All on board and passing the word around that I"ll be taking off and nickin off. Not hanging around the area annoying the heck out of everyone. Now I can nip down to Nudges place, slip over to GeorgeTown or fly over to the ranges and beaches, a couple of miles from it all.Workshop now has a slash attached, workshop/hangar (fits gyro with blades attached) and just need to install a side gate (one standing by), move a wood pile to extend and tidy up the "strip" .The other great thing about this is the $70 per month saved in hangar and petrol/travel costs. $800 odd dollars a year saved. The wife is real pleased tonight, saving $70 a month and starting the final stone wall on the house. Cant wait to get the 582 installed. Got GFLG going on to. Time to get serious about having fun! ;D ;D ;DFly Safe,Mitch

Comment

Mitch,Sounds like things are going great for you.

Comment

G"Day Dean,Is it you tying the knot? ;DMate they are comming out of the wood work now.The guy who owns the Lodge came down and told me he has

Comment

Mitch, That is great news for you, it"s all coming together for you. Got a question mate what is that going out into the water in the pic? Looks like a causeway to something. All the best to ya prettyer half and the kids. Cheers Des Garvin.

Comment

Working...
                              X