Info on installing UHF and headset on single seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on installing UHF and headset on single seat

Just looking for some advice and shere to start. I"ve installed plenty of UHF"s in vehicles before but never in a gyro. What sort of gear do I need. All I want to do is install a UHF radio and use a headset with it. Has anyone got any advice on what to install and how to go about it.

Get onto Rosco, he makes them up, and for all them money iv wasted on radios on gyros, they are the only ones that actualy work, for more than a year.

Comment

Does Rossco have and e-mail address?

Comment

No email address. He works as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for The Royal Flying Doctor Service during the day so he can only be contacted after 4pm on 0880879148.

Comment

I"m also using both UHF and VHF on the gyro with a Aerial Pursuits helmet and a switchbox made by john at raptor designs.

Comment

I"ve been experimenting with a GME TX680 3 watt handheld UHF with a thoat mike and electronic earpiece. All up about $230 or thereabouts. The throat mike eliminates ALL engine and wind noise, and the earpiece fits neatly under the normal earcups of my Gentex helmet. Throat mikes have really advanced in recent years, apparently because of huge demand from workers in high noise environments and paintballers! You need to use a press-to-talk switch (supplied) because a throat mike will regularly pick up sounds made by your collar rubbing (so VOX is not really feasible). Most throat mikes have in-line PTT switches. With my setup the voice clarity at the other end is astonishingly good. The throat mike takes a fair bit of getting used to, however, because most people are very very sensitive to pressure on their necks and the first few times you wear the throat mike you feel strangely unsettled. It"s best to wear the mike for about an hour a day for maybe up to a week before using it for anything serious, because it"ll be too distracting before then. Despite the acclimatisation or adjustment period needed, it"s still really worthwhile as a low-cost highly effective setup.Mark (Gyroo) Melbourne

Comment

Hi Mark, Where did you purchase your throat mike from? Cheers Des Garvin

Comment

Hi Des,I got mine from www.prestigecom.net.au in Western Australia. They list 3 types of throat mikes - a $39 single sensor one with an acoustic airtube; a $45 single sensor one with an electronic ear speaker; and, a $59 dual sensor one with an acoustic airtube. The $39 one has the PTT very close (too close) to the double-pin radio jack and the $59 one has the PTT very close (too close) to the neck ring. The $45 one with the electronic ear speaker has a 1 metre length of cord from the neck ring to the PTT and then another 60cm to the radio input jack. Ideal for clipping the PTT to the stick. The GME TX680 radio is really good too because the combined on/off volume knob is on the top of the radio and is nice and big for turning with gloved fingers. The "acoustic airtubes" are simply those coiled clear plastic tubes with an earplug that you see reporters on TV often using.I looked up the prestigecom.net.au website tonite to see if they still stocked the mikes and I notice they"re offering a special of a TX 680 with a throat mike thrown in for $182! Quite a bit cheaper than when I bought mine. You"d have to make sure, though, that the mike they chuck in is the $45 one with the long cords. I got the double sensor throat mike as well to experiment with and, as would be expected, the output from that sounds just a smidge better than the $45 single sensor one with the electronic ear speaker but unfortunately the PTT is only about 15cm from the neck ring making it impractical to clip it to the stick or throttle. You can probably tell by the way I write that I"ve been impressed with the whole setup as a cheap and effective UHF comm system.Cheers,Mark (Gyroo) Melbourne

Comment

Its pleasing to hear that a throat mike is working well. I tried one and it didnt really work out for me, it seemed the "sweet spot" on my throat was fairly small and if the mike shifted a little, it apparently sounded as though I was fairly intoxicated [not true] plus it didnt really fit all that well I thought as it seemed to shift too easily, particularly when turning my head around. Anyway, when it was in the right place, the reports from the other end said they could hear no engine noise and the voice was very clear so there is hope there !!I purchased a Nolan N Com helmet a little while ago which has the boom mike built into it but have yet to try it out as I havent the right patch cable . I"m hoping the boom mike will be clearer plus the helmet has a wind defector under the chin area which should keep some noise out and I will get one of those "directional sock" with the slit which should ffurther keep out noise.Radios can be such a frustrating thing, one day everyone can hear you really well and the next day it can be like yesterday never existed ! ??? > > : :"( :"( and its the days wen you really need clear communication that all seems to come unstuck !! I have been searching and trying for the "perfect" system and I think its not far away. Thankfully, the earmoulds have fixed the hearing part plus keeps things quieter and I reckon this boom mike as well as a switch box so I can run 2 radios plus a MP 3 player will do the job !!

Comment

Hi Mark, Thanks for the info. As I am a West Aussie I am gonig to investigate these.Brian mate "

Comment

Hi Mark, Thanks for the info. As I am a West Aussie I am gonig to investigate these.Brian mate "

Comment

Hi Brian, "We are still waiting for you to come across and put that bore down." When did I open my big mouth on that one

Comment

Hi Brian, "We are still waiting for you to come across and put that bore down." When did I open my big mouth on that one

Comment

Working...
                          X