Gyro Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyro Problem

I noticed in for sale the discussion on Gyro bans. In most cases it is our fellow gyro pilots who are to blame. They continue to fly noisy machines that can easily be made quiet but prefer to get their back up and fight rather than take the easy option of keeping everyone happy. Flying circuits in populated areas only aggrevates those that are easy to aggrevate. MY MOTTO IS : "INSTEAD OF PISSING PEOPLE OFF, **** OFF FROM PEOPLE"

Good post Ken. Noise is probably the one thing that will hold the acceptance of gyros back.

Comment

Prop noise might be worth taking a look at. My first day mustering with another gyro was an eye opener. I had the 912 with 70 warp drive prop and rotax exaust system. The other machine had a subaru driving a 76 inch warp drive geared down to a low tip speed and the exhaust was a four into one ending just under the prop.When we started up in the the morning I listened to the other machine burbling away with its straight through exhaust and thought at the end of the day I would get some comments about how quiet my machine was. Well the day finished and the ground crew came in and commented on how noisy my machine was. The noise produced by the higher tip speed on the 912 was far louder than the open exhaust on the subaru. I see some places in europe they dont run warp drive because of the noise.Peter

Comment

Thats spot on Peter. I run an EJ22 with a 2.49 Autoflight and 76" Warpdrive and also have a good muffler. I had the same 4 into 1 straight through but it was too noisy. People do not hear me coming and often look up with surprise. My strip is 100m from my house, and the wife doesn"t hear me take off or land. I did have a 2.62 box but I think the faster box hasn"t changed the noise at all. My machine is a heavy 2 seater, close to 300kg all up and cruises between 3800 and 4200 1 up and about 4400

Comment

Good points capnt, and i know, im lucky, theres noone within coowee of ere to pissoff, and a little noise is generaly better for workn gyros.But i, and i recon most of the other posters in that thread were refern to pilots of other machine types.And it wouldnt matter if your machine was whisper quiet, theyd aint talkn bout noise, they just ignorantly think a gyro is deadly.

Comment

Yep, the slower props help keep the noise down.I was very surprised to see that some of the popular 912"s were so noisy. My old girl is as quiet as any of them up until 4200 revs, then after that it gets noisy.

Comment

G"day David. Google gyro crashes and see what you get. Trikes, choppers and just about anything is called a gyro. The gyro crash at Albion Park is a prime example. The fella must have forgot his rotors and must have decided to borrow a hang glider wing.

Comment

My Mate Nudge flew over tonight in one of his trikes...I reckon it was the 582 and it is loud. I dont reckon the gyro is as loud, or so folk around here say.Doing up Category Awards list for the ASRA Nationals and "Quietest Gyroplane" is an award.I agree we have to encourage members to do what we can to keep our gyros from frightening the locals.Mitch.

Comment

Working...
                X