Pitch gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch gauge

Does anyone know where I can buy a prop pitch gauge from??????????????????

Baz.The yanks call it a prop protractor. Go to www.aircraftspruce.com and in the product search, type in prop protractor. About US$40.Waddles.
    Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Ta ended up getting one through Warp Drive for about the same price. Sent it over no probs.

Comment

I dont use a prop protractor as I dont think they are that accurate. Instead I clamp a long straight edge to the blade tip and then take a measurement to the axle with the blade at the bottom. I do the same with each blade. They all then spin in perfect line and it makes minute adjustments more accurate and simple. When I used the protractor it was difficult to move in small increments, and then the blade would rotate when i nipped the bolts up. Anyway I have no idea what pitch I have got, but its perfect.Ken

Comment

G"day guys.I used to use a string line protractor or Warp Drive bubble protractor, but have now swapped to a Digital protractor.Below is a picture of the one I bought from CrazySales, and yes it works a treat Very Very Very accurate.http://www.crazysales.com.au/index.p...ductID=2376The picture below is mine being used during a hang test of a single seater.Regards SamL....................

Comment

I dont use a prop protractor as I dont think they are that accurate. Instead I clamp a long straight edge to the blade tip and then take a measurement to the axle with the blade at the bottom. I do the same with each blade. They all then spin in perfect line and it makes minute adjustments more accurate and simple. When I used the protractor it was difficult to move in small increments, and then the blade would rotate when i nipped the bolts up. Anyway I have no idea what pitch I have got, but its perfect.KenAgree Ken.I use a variation on your method. Got one of those spirit levels with the laser in the end. Clamp it to the prop (right angles, and same distance from the prop centre) and let the laser hit a wall etc. Mark it, and set the other 2 blades up to match. From a distance of 10 ft, some serious accuracy.Fred

Comment

Tape a piece of white paper onto the keel underneath a blade which is vertical pointing down. Clamp a short piece of 1/8" thick Al plate to the flat side of the blade so it just touches the keel. Draw a line on the paper on the keel along a face of the plate. Repeat with all blades so that the angles are the same relative to the first one. This allows one to monitor if the blades are twisting whist the clamping bolts are being tightened. Advantage, no fancy equipment required. Disadvantage, the angle is not known, but who cares anyway. FWIW.Waddles.
              Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

That"s exactly my own method..........with a twist................set one blade only, to the "degree" you want it, after you have retightened it fully up and you are happy with that end result.........then do Al"s paper and line thingo, then do whatever to get all 3 blades exactly the same, to that reference line.This way you know for future ref, what your pitch angle is, so you can reset more or less if needed.( assuming we all have a pitch set protractor to begin with ).........BTW, i have a warp drive one if anybody wants to borrow it at any time..........just call. One more point..........don"t forget to check the "tracking" of your prop blades, you will be surprised just how different 3....4 blades can be out track with each other. ( you might need to shim out your prop hub at certain points to achieve constant "track " )
                If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Working...
                X