Are rotor blades repairible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rotor blades repairible??

hey guys i was flying the other day . i heard a noise while flying , so i cut the curcuit real short and found something about 2 inches long had gone through the prop, didnt mark it bugger all, i only know the length cause it also made its way up in to the rotor blade on the leading edge about 2 foot from the tip of the blade and left a hole about the size of a 5 cent coin followed by a dent , looks like someone trying to shot me out the sky , but the question is can blades with a slight hole in it be repared?cheers adrianmight next thought is to lash out and get a new set, what do people think?

Put a hole in the other blade to even it up and keep the balance. Graeme.

Comment

maybe the go greame, it was strange cause i never notced any change in attitude with that sorta hole in it,i was looking down the lines also cut the blades down to maybe 22 foot rotors, 7inch cord i dunno what sorta lift i would have , i guess id be flying flat out everywhere, maybe sell them off to someone thats got a lightweight gyro,,just trying to find some sorta fix with it, or cut my losses

Comment

G"day Adrian,First of all bugga!Im sure you have already done so but, do a through inspection of every part and make sure you havent lost anything such as a bolt, or that screwdriver that you swore ya had the other day

Comment

they are the same blades, trent , larkin bladeswhen im in town next ill duck out and take a few snap shots and post them on here

Comment

this is a photo of the damage, done!!

Comment

and another one , it dont look as bad , i just dont like the thought of "what if "!!cheers adrian

Comment

hey guys i was flying the other day . i heard a noise while flying , so i cut the curcuit real short and found something about 2 inches long had gone through the prop, didnt mark it bugger all, i only know the length cause it also made its way up in to the rotor blade on the leading edge about 2 foot from the tip of the blade and left a hole about the size of a 5 cent coin followed by a dent , looks like someone trying to shot me out the sky , but the question is can blades with a slight hole in it be repared?cheers adrianmight next thought is to lash out and get a new set, what do people think?Given the only damage is on the leading edge and 2 foot from the end, I would say it should be OK, But when you consider neither you or I built the blades, and that they are your primary, and only lifting surfaces, I would eeerrr on the side of safety/caution, and buy your self a new set.

Comment

Hi thereI think it is time for retirement of these blades. These blades are made by wrapping a skin around a solid leading edge section. The skin is supposed to be a snug fit with this section. The damage indicates the skin and the leading edge section may have separated around the impacted area.Other option is to cut them down and have the shortest blades in the country. Easy to store and carry but a bit limited in the ability to fly. You may get single seat glider off the ground with them. Now that would be a challenge.Ross B

Comment

hey guys , thanks for you opinionsi gave it a thought an im looking at another set, i keep a hub bar and a spare blade, if anyone has the same incident and is required another blade or has another blade, i thought about cutting them down to 22 foot, but i guess that could be done anytime, all i can do now is to save a few coins up and ill have another set in no timecheers adrian

Comment

hey guys , thanks for you opinionsi gave it a thought an im looking at another set, i keep a hub bar and a spare blade, if anyone has the same incident and is required another blade or has another blade, i thought about cutting them down to 22 foot, but i guess that could be done anytime, all i can do now is to save a few coins up and ill have another set in no timecheers adrianall i can do now is to save a few coins up and ill have another set in no timeOne thing I have learnt with gyros that cost cutting or skimping or whatever you might like to call it, is false economy and it can also be deadly, as even a partial component failure can be a non recoverable crash and every life is worth a lot more than a new set of rotors or a "few cents" so my advice to you and everyone else is that if you fly gyros cause they are cheap, then you are flirting with danger.I have to admit, when the hub bar "life" came in, I thought it as a too conservative figure plus the cost factor was too dear but now I pay for a new hub bar and am happy

Comment

Working...
                      X