Sportcopter in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportcopter in Australia

I thought it was time I updated you all of what is happening with Sportcopter in Australia.With the helpful input from a number of you on the Forum, Sportcopter have agreed to make a special “Mustering Model” of their Vortex for us in Australia.The basis of it is the 912 ULS Rotax powered Vortex.

Guys,I rarely comment publicly about how good a gyro is because of the variables involved but after inspecting one in detail and flying the Vortex Lightning I have to say that it ticks all the box"s from an engineering perspective and is the best light weight capable gyro I have ever flown!This machine did every thing I wanted it to do and its powered by a 503 - remember Iam 115kg on a good day, probably 120+ fully dressed after a big breakfast!Bloody fantastic

Comment

For those of you who don’t like the idea of a cabin inhibiting your view, if the cabin is not wanted it can be removed from the order.A better idea is a quick remove oversized cab so"s you can carry sum gear and be outa the rain wen ferryn.Wot sorta prespinner, and can you have it engauged at the roll with full backstick?

Comment

Hi Birdy,Yep, a removable cabin and extra storage would be good.

Comment

Sorry guys. "expecting something s$%^&*sr with the 912s" should have read "shorter" but the wireless transmission gremlins got in!

Comment

Hi Ian,Do you know if the EA81 will fit on the vortex? and has it been done?Cheers

Comment

Hi Trent,Not sure if an EA81 has been used in the past.

Comment

Hi Ian,I hope Jim is not using mild steel for its mast. It"s too soft! I would reckon chromemoly 4130 is the material choice.CheersLou

Comment

Hi Ian,I hope Jim is not using mild steel for its mast. It"s too soft! I would reckon chromemoly 4130 is the material choice.CheersLouHello Lou,I am also hoping that Jim is not using mild steel for its mast. Feels like too smooth I also agree that chromemoly 4130 is the material choice. _Super bowl ticket

Comment

It"s a fact that aluminum is generally 1/2 the weight of steel but it is also 1/3 the strength. This means that you need 3 times the volume of aluminum to meet the strength of steel. This is why cheap aluminum Gyro frames tend to weigh more than their steel counterparts. Aluminum also has a limited life- it will eventually fail- while steel has a relatively unlimited life. Yes, steel rusts, but aluminum corrodes and it can be argued that corroded aluminum is much more risky than rusted steel. Neither of these should be an issue if the Gyro is maintained. The strength to weight ratio of 4130 (most common) CroMo exceeds that of 6061 T6 aluminum.Because of the alloys used for 4130 CroMo, the material must be welded using a TIG or MIG process, although it can also be brazed.The designation "4130" refers to the alloy and carbon content. The "41" represents the alloy type and quantity and the "30" represents the carbon content as a 10th of a percent. The temper condition is a post process, meaning that a post-weld, heat treatment is applied. If a CroMo weld is not heat treated after welding, the joints subjected to heat during the welding process are annealed or normalized. Remember that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Therefore, if a CroMo weld has not undergone a post heat treating process, the weld is inherently weak. This shortcoming is prevalent in the recumbent industry as most welders (who know nothing of metalurgy) ignore this important issue.

Comment

Klicks, if you feel an "expert" in the field of metallurgy and material science, why not share it in this forum. This platform is created to give a level discussion (not the kind of sarcasm you made)for everyone from different walks of life in the interest of gyroplanes and its flying activities. The kind of statement you made may be acceptable to you but never to all, especially myself, so do grow up!! Ocasional foul jokes to jive up the discussion atmosphere are common but self restraint and discipline are a must before going overboard!!cheers

Comment

It"s a fact that aluminum is generally 1/2 the weight of steel but it is also 1/3 the strength. This means that you need 3 times the volume of aluminum to meet the strength of steel. This is why cheap aluminum Gyro frames tend to weigh more than their steel counterparts. Aluminum also has a limited life- it will eventually fail- while steel has a relatively unlimited life. Mr Pegaso, what grades of steel and aluminium are you comparing?Because of the alloys used for 4130 CroMo, the material must be welded using a TIG or MIG process, although it can also be brazed.Another interesting statement, I was led to believe that 4130 CroMo was around long before TIG or MIG welding and was developed for Oxy/Act welding which it lends itself to quite well in much older aircraft?Graeme.

Comment

Re-read my post, all answers for you are there..! :

Comment

Hi Graeme and Pegaso,To add-on; Brazing is a process whereby metals are joint with a filler metal or an alloy (usually lower melting temperature than the parent metals)heated up to a melting temperature above 500°C thus melting the filler and spread across the closely-knitted surfaces by means of capillary action. The melted filler in its liquid state while protected by a flux from the atmosphere interact with the thin layer of parent metal and cooled to form a sealing joint.Welding (in this case, where Graeme refers to Oxy/Acetylene) is a process whereby metals are joint with filler metal or alloy (usually same or higher melting temperature) that produces common sharing of molten metal pool thus forming a fused joint. The heat source generated by burning of acetylene with oxygen to produce high heat energy in excess of the metals melting point.Well, Graeme, you and I are from old school where oxy/acety welding is a common fusion welding equipment in the workshop. There"s another welding process, SMAW (shielded metal arc welding) is also common too. Chromemoly 4130 steel can also be welded by the latter process and will produce sound welds. So, I don"t fully agree with Pegaso that " ...Because of the alloys used for 4130 CroMo, the material must be welded using a TIG or MIG process..."Next, on PWHT (post weld heat treatment) process. As identified by Pegaso, tempering is employed to refine the coarse grain structure of the welded joint thus improving the mechanical properties of the welded joint. i fully agree to that. But I don"t agree that said "....as most welders (who know nothing of metalurgy) ignore this important issue.....". DO NOT genralise such a statement. I personally felt that this is demeaning to our fellow mates!! They, too, have this knowledge and apply as deem needed. So are you....CheersLou

Comment

Re-read my post, all answers for you are there..! :Sorry mate, but I re-read a couple of times and did not find any answers ( my teachers always said I had a problem).I did mean fusion welding when I referred to oxy/act welding.There are many grades of steel and aluminium and you did not point out which ones you were talking about when comparing weight and strength, what did I miss?Graeme.

Comment

Working...
                              X