Making the machine more visible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the machine more visible.

I am rebuilding a machine and while it is in the shed giving some thought on ways of making it stand out in the sky What tips have you got?Birdmanpete.

Make it bigger.

Comment

During ww2 submarne spotting planes discovered that they could make themselves less visible by shining spotlights out the front of the aircraft. So my suggestion would be to paint it a dark colour and put a couple of good strobes on the bugger. Another option is to paint one rotor dark and the other white. Anyone who went to the nats in cooma and saw jeffs machine can testify to that.

Comment

Are there any Fluoros which are more startling than others and are there any "patterns" on rotors which might intensify the effect?

Comment

i had thought about this problem and even thou i put a strobe on my machine people always comment that it is the orange tail and orange fluoro safety coat i wear that they can always see. people on the ground or pilots in air, that is.

Comment

There has been a recent post on Rotary Forum about a highly reflective vinyl outdoor film coating that people in Aus have been putting on their rotors which they say has been very effective in increasing their viz profile.Apparently the highly refractive and reflecting, self adhering holographic vinyl on the rotors gives enhanced visibility both from the ground and in the airhttp://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=41913 and comes in a variety of colors, red blue rainbow etc, widths and lengths, and a five year outdoor life.Applied as a band ( width your choice) on both rotors at the same position from trailing edge over and around the leading edge then back to trailing edge then trimmed with a razor and straight edge just ahead of the trailing edge rivets ( if a riveted blade)

Comment

A strobe should be clear and a high intensity strobe, not the ones you get from Bursons. Also, a darker colour is easier spotted than light

Comment

Where do high intensity strobes come from?birdmanpete

Comment

Sam La Bruna had some at at reasonable price. Or else look up pilot shops etc.

Comment

Sam La Bruna had some at at reasonable price. Or else look up pilot shops etc.Have them in stock and ready for shipment.Regards SamL...............

Comment

Sam La Bruna had some at at reasonable price. Or else look up pilot shops etc.Sam"s strobes are quite bright and good value.Aussie Paul.

Comment

This worked well.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Working...
                        X