Symmetrical Airfoil Tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symmetrical Airfoil Tails

Ok well I"ve decided to rebuild my current HTL gyro during my holidays, Instead of wasting half my holidays building a fibreglass over foam symmetrical airfoil shaped tail im wondering if anyone knows of who builds such a tail in Oz, the design (tall tail, conventional, T tail) isnt really a factor as my rebuild is flexible at this stage. Any leads would be much appreciated.Regards Trent.

Rob Patrony at bunduberg makes a try-tail similar to that on ela`s and mto3`s :-*

Comment

You may want to give Mitch a call in Tassie. I think he still makes the butterfly tails.

Comment

Thanks for the few leads fella"s i"ve just had along chat with Rob and he"s currently busy with a couple of gyro builds in his spare time to build the tri tail as he doesnt yet have a mold and has made them by hand which take alot of time. I believe when he clears his plate that more will happen in regard to making a mould for the tails.Under the advice I"ve been given I"ll stick to my tail for now and just make the machine close to as possible CLT.CheersTrent

Comment

Trent, Adrian Stofles has started making tails similar to the MT/ELA. Maybe worth giving him a ring.50/50 airstream/propstream is the best IMHO.

Comment

Trent,We have started making them here in the west

Comment

Thanks Adrian/Murray I"ll give him a buzz over the weekend some time. CheersTrent

Comment

Trent,We have started making them here in the west

Comment

Question!

Comment

This is one of Cor"s tri tails , I have a second coming this week. Very well made.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Question!

Comment

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. The tail looks a million bucks, Eric.Paul, I"m still wondering about the 30% - where did it come from? Ater all, earlier a/c didn"t move towards aerofoil shap tails until they got up to aroud 100 kts and there are still plenty of U/Ls with slab tails. I know of a gyro owner who had a ply tail, conventional with dorsal fins on the end of the horizontal. He moved to a simlar shape and size in aerofoil and believes that all he gained was extra weight, and was considering returning to his ply tail. We have been told a bee doesn"t have enough wing area to lift his body weight, and experts tell us that if there is another global downturn, Australia is in great shape to handle it. Well... I"m not trying to start an argument Paul, there have been enough of them. I would just like to know were the figures come from. ThanksLloyd

Comment

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. The tail looks a million bucks, Eric.Paul, I"m still wondering about the 30% - where did it come from? Ater all, earlier a/c didn"t move towards aerofoil shap tails until they got up to aroud 100 kts and there are still plenty of U/Ls with slab tails. I know of a gyro owner who had a ply tail, conventional with dorsal fins on the end of the horizontal. He moved to a simlar shape and size in aerofoil and believes that all he gained was extra weight, and was considering returning to his ply tail. We have been told a bee doesn"t have enough wing area to lift his body weight, and experts tell us that if there is another global downturn, Australia is in great shape to handle it. Well... I"m not trying to start an argument Paul, there have been enough of them. I would just like to know were the figures come from. ThanksLloydLloyd, I will research where I learnt that many moons ago, or correct it if I am mistaken.

Comment

Hi Lloyd, I went to where I thought I had learnt it, the US forum. http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/sho...?t=30875Aussie Paul.

Comment

I"m pretty sure Rosco said you need about 30% more area for a plate airfoil compared to a streamlined one - to have the same affect.That"s for gyro speeds of course The plate tail on my gyro is enough to wag the dog on hot days alright

Comment

Working...
                              X