Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the use for rotor brakes and a strong cyclic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the use for rotor brakes and a strong cyclic.

hey guys just recently had a roll over- after flying the other day-i was out flying on wednesday - the day had a slight brezze perfect for gyro weather- i had just replaced my redrive prop shaft- and was out testing the shaft out by doing a few hopes down the feild- and then curcuitsit was a nice sunny- brezze day- flying for about 30 mins having a great time- and i was thinking to my self- this wind seems to be getting stronger slightly- so i set my self up to do one last circuit before putting the gyro away- and as i took of i got up to 100 - 200 ft and was confronted with a storm- 100 knot wind! i ended up flying backwards faster than going forward- was able to gain height to 500 ft - as i was over the field - i was up and was getting blown away from the field - so i turned down wind and used the lil engine that could to get me back - i look down and seen 85 -90 knots on the airspeed flying down wind fast! dropping bloody quick- at this stage - my pants was filled- i mean i near on crap my pants- and managed to get back to the end of the field.. just. and im thinking - it would be a miracle from god if i end up in one piece- so im pushing forward i get down to the airfeild- runway fly along the runway- as i turned in the wind the airspeed was off the gauge!

Bugga Adrian.

Comment

to buy a set of rotors $4000rotor head ??? 1000? new- or a few hundred dollars to get it looked at maybe??to replace- to find the time. id rather be flying than building- then materials to fix the rest up- a third set of blades.. not my cuppa tea- maybe a complete rebuild would be the go- but selling at the moment i think is a wise option in the position im in at the moment

Comment

Thanks for sharing adrian, always very painful $$ wise, usually costed at around $1,000 per second = about $5,000 for the average rollover!! Sorry :"( lots of lessons there to be learnt. Always be on the lookout for unusual weather and what the wind is doing and the old saying is that its better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than up there, wishing [praying ]you were on the ground [in one piece alive!]A gyro on the ground with rotors turning can get rolled up real quick, in the event as adrian describes, its important to keep the rotors tilted into the wind at all times, I have been caught in strong winds before and I turn the gyro side on so the rotors are tilted further down into the wind. Shut of the engine ASAP as rotors can flap at the most inconvenient times and you dont wish to have a prop strike . A very good rotor brake is great thing to have so that the rotors can be bought to a complete stop quickly. This technique might not work for everyone so check out how you would handle 40 knot plus winds cause wind speed with storms can be right up there and it can be a real scary time, you are relieved to be on the ground but now you have a set of rotors to stop !! Glass ones can flex quite a bit so watch out.

Comment

A point iv made repeatedly over the years.No matter how vidulant you are bout not flyn in strong winds, youll get caught, eventualy.And nuthn more scarey n not known wot to do wen you get there.Coz like it or not, your there.Im not kickn Adrian while he"s down, but i can offer sum tips.Wen [ not if]

Comment

- i know i walked away unscaved - and got many lessons from such even - i now put down to experience- hind sight always pisses you off- but its better to be alive - having learn a few mistakes then to be dead not knowing what happen- but now a rotor brake

Comment

thanks birdy-what puzzeled me was i done everything right--once the rotors started to slow they seem like to be getting hammered and such strain on the system somehow bent the control stick- i was comfortable flying in wind-i had lack of power as why i near on shat my self- the other things are - where i landed i had the canopy of the scub giving off terbulent winds that i think cause such event- winds seem to be coming from a few direction

Comment

[i] but now a rotor brake

Comment

[i] but now a rotor brake

Comment

well im still puzzled went out to the airfield to collect my bent up none return boomerang (roters) and i had a glance over the control system - and its put untold stain - huge strain on the system- paints started to peel where its started to bend.. on the control collum - the rotor head is shagged- jesus bolt has more slop in it than- something.. i guess i was unlucky - but lucky at the same time- im taking everything to experience -cheers adrian

Comment

Usen the ground asa rotorbreak tends to do that.

Comment

Storms can generate winds that can change direction by 90* that can catch you unawares. birdys advice to fly somwehere else away from the storm is good advice and even 5 K"s can change from very turbulent to fairly calm and most storms dont hang about so generally 15 minutes or so after the storm hits, you can go home BUT do be aware that you can get a line of storms coming in from the same direction or you could find heavy rain sets in after the storm that will stop you from flying back in ...unless you can keep visual and put up with getting soaked. ;DPanic & being frightened out of your wits can produce interesting command decisions, a mate of mine [in a FW] flew into an area of very severe turbulence, after some 10 minutes he flew out of the turbulence, did a 180* turn and flew back into the muck so he could get home! ??? ??? fortunately he was flying a old Cherokee 180 that handle the rough. Anyway, no prizes for his decisions.

Comment

like i was sayingi shat myself cause of an under powered machine for that sort of weather- just caught me out- i was only testing a prop shft out and only had 10- 15 litres on board- wasnt going out for very long- couldnt do that.but hind sight always gets people- whats done is done- and was lucky to happen on the ground and not up thereand chopper you are right - the winds was shifting 45 + degrees if not more .it made landing interesting-

Comment

Working...
                          X