subaru engine 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subaru engine 2.2

What is a good year subaru 2.2 to buy for doing up and is a manual or auto best.

Hi Steve,I wouldn"t think gear box type matters that much? an injected version of the ej2.2 is probly your best option for power for weight, also no carb icing with the injected motor (I am assuming you"re putting a subi in a gyro).There are definately some people on this forum who know more about subaru engines than me, pehaps they could posibly post some futher info for you (any takers??). If you don"t get any further replys go to the engine infomation section of the forum and troll through the conversations there. Should find some useful stuff.Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt , Yes putting engine on a gyro I,ll have a look around more as well . Steve

Comment

What is a good year subaru 2.2 to buy for doing up and is a manual or auto best. Hi Steve, FWIW there are ej-20 sohc engines, some with plastic manifolds, that are excellent. The ones to look for are the later ones that are 120hp, the earlier ones began at 100hp. The ej-20 120hp are slightly lighter than the ej-22 and only 10 hp less as well as being a later model which USUALLY means some improvements. They are now the age of the ej-22 engines that I was using 10 years ago. I hope this helps.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Thanks Paul, That helps a lot 10hp less that"s alright I,ll have to check if his gearbox the guy sells in canada fits theses ej20 sohc ones so I can keep looking for the right engine. Steve

Comment

Thanks Paul, That helps a lot 10hp less that"s alright I,ll have to check if his gearbox the guy sells in canada fits theses ej20 sohc ones so I can keep looking for the right engine. SteveSteve, the ej-20, 22, & 25 are all the same re gearbox adaptors.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Thanks Paul , That makes things easier. Thanks Steve

Comment

i"m not an engine guru by any means but i was told that an automatic gearboxed engine was a better choice if possible. the only reason being is if the car was owned by a tappet head it isn"t as likely as been revved out and held there as the auto would keep changing up a gear, as compared to a manual.makes sense to me.

Comment

I think I remember ??? that the auto flywheel uses shorter bolts to the engine crank that cannot be re used with a redrive flywheel and as they are an odd metric thread difficult to find.Aussie Paul.

Comment

The 2.2"s have 2 versions, one is a

Comment

Thanks guys, Taking it on board will try and get a low klm engine but if not get it reconditioned found out about the gearbox from overseas distrubuter. You are supposed to buy from the dealer here now. He said best to get manual ones and machine down flywheel or you have to inspect more regular and sometimes replace auto flex plate as they crack all good imfo.

Comment

Re getting an engine reconditioned. Tim McClure has installed many a secondhand engine and unless it visibly needed re- coing, he stuck it in the gyro and seen how it went. I"m against pulling an engine apart unless its broken.A note for those installing rotax gearboxes onto the back of a 2.2, go the standard Suby flywheel out of a manual, stops the "impulse thing happening and you will find everything works out for the better

Comment

Re getting an engine reconditioned. Tim McClure has installed many a secondhand engine and unless it visibly needed re- coing, he stuck it in the gyro and seen how it went. I"m against pulling an engine apart unless its broken.A note for those installing rotax gearboxes onto the back of a 2.2, go the standard Suby flywheel out of a manual, stops the "impulse thing happening and you will find everything works out for the better

Comment

Rip it apart............head job, forged pistons.............Wild cam, make the sucker " Agro "
                            If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

ok i can remember brian saying to me similar . he had said about the "97 model and upto 100,00 klms and if it don"t look broke don"t fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X