Take Care please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Care please

Unless you all have not heard there have been 3 crashes and 4 deaths this week in RA-AUS planes

Yes totally agree with you Bones.My old gyro has been out of action for 3 1/2 months.Get,n re-bushed rotor head and controls,new rotor head bearing,new prop,radiator,rotors re-painted stone chips fixed.Any how could,nt wait to get back in the air,put it all back together.Started it up checked it all over so i thought??Went for a test fly,all good!Then stood on the left rudder to turn into the hanger,when the cable come very loose.Looked down the shackle pin had come undone,so the cable was just sitting there all loose.I DID,NT CHECK RUDDER CABLES.So lesson learned all ways do proper pre flight.Take ur time,If there is some 1 else around get them to have a look too.U might have missed some thing

Comment

Yeah, I"d be nice if we had a big red light on the dash if everything wasn"t good to go.

Comment

g"day all, watch out for power wires is something that is said over and over and yet look at the result again. 2 of my closest mates were killed about 12 years ago when they flew into wires in familiar territory while they were "beating up things" in fixed wing aircraft. This latest episode really brings it home to me and others yet again, and again, the devastation and the consequences left behind are pretty big, awful and indelible. At every gliding briefing before a flight for the day, the subject of wires was always mentioned, gliders can out-land on a cross country run when the thermals cycle obviously, hence the mention about an unexpected landing in a paddock....safety safety safety.safety. Point is I wonder if enough emphasis is put onto wires in the power circles and what to look for etc..dunno, but saddened by this. We"ve all had a good tear around on the deck and it will continue as long as it"s great fun, we just need to have a management plan in the training I reckon. Bring it up and talk about it, might have helped these blokes.What do others think? **** oh dear!danny camel

Comment

I"ve found that anything to do with aviation, don"t hurry! If you hurry, things go wrong. Once someone hurried me to take his wife up and I conformed, only to find we were cruising around the sky with the rudder lock on. During my skydiving time I once put on my parachute in a hurry in the aircraft. Did not get a check, only to find in free-fall the chute wouldn"t open as it had to first thread through my RH leg strap. (I"d put the RH leg strap over the belly strap which had the opening handle and pilot chute attached) Luckily the reserve worked. Once I hurried the get airborne in my running takeoff powered hang-glider and wondered why it was so noisy, only to see my helmet hanging under the RH wing.

Comment

As you said Max avoid being in a hurry! I got a fright from being in a rush years ago, went flat out to set up took off and at 100 ft got slapped in the cheek by the metal helmut clip that I forgot to do up,I fair crapped myself. The guys on the ground knew what I"d done as they watched me land with one hand on my head. I was bloody lucky.

Comment

Wires, power & old telephone lines are one of the worst hazards about. Depending where the light is coming from, they are just about invisible. Single wires on wooden posts can blend into the scenery.Its amazing how many people dont know or forget where wires are on their patch of dirt.

Comment

A reasonable sized sapling laying at an angle hidden in the grass, will get your clacker valve working........ Taxying hard downwind on a shortish strip, leaving your turn around till the LAST minute.......no brakes, that get"s the valve going too.
                If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

great thread guys keep it going.

Comment

Me all time favourite............."planned " fuel stop enroute went pear shaped ( some one stuffed up )......getting to alternative point was going to be "interesting", so off ya heads, get to a position where "that point" is 30...40 mins away yet, and doing inflite calculations you are good for 20 mins.........now that really get"s the valve going for remaining flying time to destination. ( nothing but tiger country all the way )Then ya got the missis yapping on the intercom, about how great things are going, she"s lovin the views etc.............she"s oblivious to our situation.....me, i"m cacking meself O.....them memories of "moments we all have had " ;D ;D
                    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

cant say iv ever hada close shave, cept,..........,hmmmmm, hang on......

Comment

After a engine re-ring job where i had to pull my control system push rods out, put it all back together, go to test fly it in a hurry, all sweet, land and think i better just check everything again, coming to realise that i forgot to put one of the nuts back on the bolt that goes thru the rod end eye for the control system..... did i ****... never rush anything and if ya doing something like that, do it when no-ones around to distract ya.I could go on but thats probably the least scariest one....

Comment

least scariest?????????????? struth.

Comment

Yep most scariest is when I adjusted my seat belt inflight and let go of the stick.... all was fine for 5 to 10 seconds then suddenly the stick went from stop to stop fore/aft repeatedly within a split second, managed to grab hold of the stick and roll the power off holding the controls in the central position, had a uncommanded brown stain and proceeded back to the airfield. I"ve since found out that some gyro will do that if you let go of the stick (no drag on the stick) some gyro"s wont. Another time I had an interesting experience that all I can put it down to was rotor (side on thermal) flying along straight and level and then bang all with in 2 seconds im pointing up then down, same deal pulled power and straightened her up and old mate flying next to me wondered what the hell I was trying to do now.....Probably something a bit more relevant to this topic, how often do you guys check your rotor bearing? i spun my head probably 10 hours ago and felt or heard nothing unusual but the other weekend i did it again and you could start to hear a noise from the bearing... so out with the old and in with the new...

Comment

.....Probably something a bit more relevant to this topic, how often do you guys check your rotor bearing? i spun my head probably 10 hours ago and felt or heard nothing unusual but the other weekend i did it again and you could start to hear a noise from the bearing... so out with the old and in with the new...

Comment

Working...
                              X