Random drug and alcohol testing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random drug and alcohol testing.

Something interesting happened today at Cessnock airport (YCNK) NSW, I had done a TIF (Trial intro flight) earlier in the afternoon and since the engine was warm, stayed to do an oil change that was due, and was just about to go home. At 1715 hrs In walks a young lady, she says hello and that she was from CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) and asked if we were pilots and had flown today. I answered yes to the questions. She told me she was doing drug and alcohol testing, & would I mind doing a test, I said no problem, she went to her car and towed in a large trolley bag full of gear. I was informed that I was only going to be alcohol tested today, and she got me to blow in the breathalyser...the result was negative. I was shown the big calibrated breathalyser unit with printout she would test me on, same as the ones used in the booze buses if was over the limit. We had a little chat about things, I found out she is based in Sydney and covers a lot of NSW, & works on weekends.I was informed you cannot perform any aviation safety sensitive activity or be air side over the limit (.02)

Hi Phil,Out of the 15 pilots tested, was all paperwork up-to-date?

Comment

i used to take all the log book / b.ak. stuff with me but stopped years ago. now i leave it at home and fill it when i get back usually that night during dinner. can anyone from the board advise on this. i don"t drink either. i suppose i could always ask her to come home and have diner.[ seriously] where do we stand with not having the log book at the strip.

Comment

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. I was only asked to do a breath test I was not asked to produce any log books. I only had to show my a drivers licence for identification i.e a photo ID, an ASIC will also do if you have one. I was only trying to remind members that you could be asked to show logbooks, the young lady"s job was as far as I know, to conduct random drug and alcohol testing.Sorry if I caused anyone to get worried, Tony, I feel that if you have your log book with you and it does not have the days flying filled in they wont worry too much. The rule that I saw is that you have to keep a log book, I do not know if it has to be with you all the time, I think they have bigger things to worry about.

Comment

Swabs for drugs hey.

Comment

Re the production of documents to an authorised officer:Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR) 5.56 states in part:[i]5.56
            Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Been digging. Here"s some more stuff for you:[i]aerodrome testing area means:
              Waddles

Comment

The moral of the story is, when in doubt, go to the horse"s head!!My opinions expressed in the last couple of posts are not entirely correct in that the registered and certified aerodrome and testing area references are applicable to persons who are employed by a company that has a Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP).The bottom line is that you may be randomly tested any time you are "airside" on any aerodrome and are engaged in a safety sensitive aviation activity. This includes such things as pumping up a tyre and as Phil correctly points out, you can"t do an oil change on your gyro with a stubbie in your hand.However, if you have put the gyro away and secured it, it is not illegal to have a beer with the boys in a hangar. Just ensure that everyone has finished with their gyros for the day.I"ve asked for official clarification on this matter and expect an email in the not too distant future, the contents of which I"ll post here.Apologies for any misguidance provided.Waddles.
                Waddles

Comment

So what u now saying I shouldn"t have my standard 4 beers before I fly damn, what the world coming to

Comment

ok..........you"ve got a "privately owned" hanger on the strip..........a person enters, ( e.g.
                    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Russell,My understanding is if the hanger is on a "aerodrome" they have the power to enter and you need to comply. Over here in the West they dont seem to visit private strips in the bush but the definition of an aerodrome is pretty open. I have seen them at a few GA airstrips over the past few years but never been asked to be tested.The bottom line is follow the rules and you should be fine!Adrian

Comment

Gents,i have received a reply to my request for more info on this AOD testing stuff. It has finally come through. I can"t figure out how to copy the contents on an email here and retain the formatting and colours.A copy of the info will appear in the next GN, but if anyone wants it now, email me and I"ll forward the info to you.Waddlesg747@ozemail.com.au
                        Waddles

Comment

If sumone turned up out ere witha breatho, id run home n squeeze the bottle before she tested me, just so i could say i got dun for F U I in the simpson.

Comment

Working...
                          X